Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
well, there has to be some common meeting ground (in the sense that if you start cliccking anything you don't want there will be nothing left) otherwise this wouldn't be FORUM which is by definitions a meeting place, a square.
For me it's a question of balance. If there are a few things going on in the meeting place that annoy people to the extent that they never come back, it would seem sensible to give them a way of staying but filtering out the nuisance.

Rhys

·
14,476 Posts
I just returned home from an Alaskan cruise - with awful internet service on board. On the ship when I saw there was a new post in the Member's Lounge, I felt compelled to open that section to see if the post involved some interesting-to-me subject other than the numerous word-games. Almost always it was yet another post in those endless game-threads. This took time (and frustration) I didn't like experiencing.

It seems simple enough for the admins to create a separate section for the games so that those who are interested in playing them can do so without me (and the others who don't play the games) having to open the Lounge every time there is a new post. This imposes no losses or restrictions on any of the forum members. It merely creates a section that we can choose to ignore without hurting those who use it.

It seems to me that the FOR-SALE threads are of more interest to more of us than the games-threads. Still, if we don't want to buy anything, we can forego opening those sales-threads. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,865 Posts
I just returned home from an Alaskan cruise - with awful internet service on board. On the ship when I saw there was a new post in the Member's Lounge, I felt compelled to open that section to see if the post involved some interesting-to-me subject other than the numerous word-games.
You were on an Alaskan cruise vacation and you still wanted to check out SOTW ? Hilarious, Dave !!

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
This thread is about people having their own filters for what they see. I don’t think it is possible. It may be with a third party plugin but only VS (the company that owns the forum) can install those.

However I seriously doubt there is anything that would work well with the current antiquated software.

Recently there was a thread suggesting to update the forum, but I think the overwhelming response was against that. I may be wrong, need to look for that thread.

But again, only BS can do that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,617 Posts
>

I never look at the Games, but find it quite easy to refrain from clicking on them. It's even a bit satisfying! (Obviously, people enjoy them.)

·
14,476 Posts
It isn't about clicking on one or all of the games, it is about clicking on the Lounge when it shows there are new posts. It is only after you open the Lounge that you see that the only new posts are in the games-threads.

While I am no expert on how to design a forum, I recall that other subjects over the 20 or so years I've been on SOTW have been created to narrow the subject matter - why not all of those word games? They seem to have enough participation that a specific games-thread would allow those with games-interest to continue their postings there without involving those of us who don't participate. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,940 Posts
These days I browse the forum without logging in (if at all), so I see no games and no for sale threads. Works fine for me.
If I think I need to buy something I log in, same for replying to a post. (Sometimes I have to log in 4 times in order to make a post, but there's another thread about that I believe)

·
13,624 Posts
Imagine being able to block repetitive, self promoting, bump styled posts from Vendors touting the same thing over and over again.
It sounds too good to be possible.
As vendors, in the vendor area, we are not subjected to rules having to do with bumping. If I want, in theory, I can post half a dozen posts and bump them twice or three times a day to create what is essentially a free bill board. I dont think its fair that vendors who dont necessary provide any service to the community, stand without rules when individuals are admonished for bumping behaviors. I dont know that they should be the same set of rules but I get the feeling that individuals are being punished for the behaviors of vendors...I cant prove it but I suspect it.
Shall I prepare a billboard to test the theory...
I dont have the time but Im tempted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
Sigmund451;3960002. said:
I don't know that they should be the same set of rules but I get the feeling that individuals are being punished for the behaviors of vendors..
well the continuous touting is creating certainly an atmosphere of real stress. I don't like unrequested ads, If I am interested in anything that I look for it.

My position on this is that vendors should simply advertise their site ( or BUY a banner!) and hold their sales OUTSIDE the forum.

They should simply have a link in the signature ( as you do Phil) with a site where one can go and buy. I am not in the market for mouthpieces, but if I were I certainly wouldn't buy one puhed to my " attention" almost every day. VERY annoying!

·
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Imagine being able to block repetitive, self promoting, bump styled posts from Vendors touting the same thing over and over again.
It sounds too good to be possible.
Yup, that's what I was thinking about when I started this thread, just as much as the Games threads.

It's like walking into a pub for a nice drink and a catch-up with friends and having someone constantly bothering you, trying to sell you stuff of no interest or a group of people endlessly playing a game that you can't escape.

I'm not trying to stop their fun, just hoping for a way to let me selectively filter out stuff I decide I don't want to be bothered by when I look down the New Posts. I know I don't have to click on those threads, but they relentlessly come back on the list and obscure the interesting new postings.

Rhys

·
41,895 Posts
sure, of course we are all free to enter any thread but to see the continuous flow of ads (and games, yesterday they even invented a new one) to which I have no interest whatsoever.

·
8,650 Posts
Yup, that's what I was thinking about when I started this thread, just as much as the Games threads.

It's like walking into a pub for a nice drink and a catch-up with friends and having someone constantly bothering you, trying to sell you stuff of no interest or a group of people endlessly playing a game that you can't escape.

Rhys
This brings to mind our experience on a recent holiday overseas.
We were sitting quietly in a bar enjoying a few drinks and some good conversation when we were bombarded with souvenir salespeople trying to sell us the same thing over and over again.
The big difference here was that after they saw you around for a couple of days, they left you alone and we're then quite friendly and just happy to chat with you.

·
41,895 Posts
I think that the insisting and persisting vendors seriously underestimate the hostile climate they create towards themselves with the plethora of ads and the intense bumping

·
8,650 Posts
I think that the insisting and persisting vendors seriously underestimate the hostile climate they create towards themselves with the plethora of ads and the intense bumping
Absolutely.
Speaking for myself, it has made me even more unlikely to deal with them regardless of how interesting their product may seem.(which they aren't for me anyway).

21 - 40 of 41 Posts