Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually access SOTW on PC by clicking on "New Posts" to just see the threads that have changed since my previous visit. Along with threads of interest to me, I see a lot of threads that I never want to click on, such as those endless "games" that run to hundreds or thousands of postings.

Is there a way that I can mark a forum or a sub-forum or a thread so that it will never again be shown to me when I click on "New Posts" ?

Rhys

·
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you click on New Posts or otherwise browse SOTW without being logged in, you won't see any of the subforums that are open only to members. This includes the Lounge (with all the word games) and the Marketplace. Of course, you won't be able to reply to posts in the subforums that you do see, but you'll be able to read them.
Er, how does that help me ? I want to be able to choose what I don't see.

Rhys

·
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seeing as (as I mentioned above) as far as I know none of this can be done on a per user preference basis, if we could do this (and that is IF) then we'd want some kind of majority consensus on what we do.

I suspect we won't please half the people half the time. Not even a quarter of the people a third of the time.
As per my original question, I would like to be able to personally mark a Forum / Sub-Fourm / Thread to indicate that I don't want it to appear on "New Posts". I don't want to impose anything on other forum members or end up with an inflexible system.

It isn't just the Games threads, I also get fed up with many of the For Sale and Wanted threads and some particular threads where they descend into tedious argument or ranting.

There seems to be an automatic system of flagging up where I have started or contributed to a thread. Not understanding the mechanics of what is "under the hood" of the forum I don't know whether what I want is easy or even possible, but it would make my SOTW experience a lot better.

Rhys

·
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
well, there has to be some common meeting ground (in the sense that if you start cliccking anything you don't want there will be nothing left) otherwise this wouldn't be FORUM which is by definitions a meeting place, a square.
For me it's a question of balance. If there are a few things going on in the meeting place that annoy people to the extent that they never come back, it would seem sensible to give them a way of staying but filtering out the nuisance.

Rhys

·
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Imagine being able to block repetitive, self promoting, bump styled posts from Vendors touting the same thing over and over again.
It sounds too good to be possible.
Yup, that's what I was thinking about when I started this thread, just as much as the Games threads.

It's like walking into a pub for a nice drink and a catch-up with friends and having someone constantly bothering you, trying to sell you stuff of no interest or a group of people endlessly playing a game that you can't escape.

I'm not trying to stop their fun, just hoping for a way to let me selectively filter out stuff I decide I don't want to be bothered by when I look down the New Posts. I know I don't have to click on those threads, but they relentlessly come back on the list and obscure the interesting new postings.

Rhys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts