Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually access SOTW on PC by clicking on "New Posts" to just see the threads that have changed since my previous visit. Along with threads of interest to me, I see a lot of threads that I never want to click on, such as those endless "games" that run to hundreds or thousands of postings.

Is there a way that I can mark a forum or a sub-forum or a thread so that it will never again be shown to me when I click on "New Posts" ?

Rhys

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
If you click on New Posts or otherwise browse SOTW without being logged in, you won't see any of the subforums that are open only to members. This includes the Lounge (with all the word games) and the Marketplace. Of course, you won't be able to reply to posts in the subforums that you do see, but you'll be able to read them.

·
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you click on New Posts or otherwise browse SOTW without being logged in, you won't see any of the subforums that are open only to members. This includes the Lounge (with all the word games) and the Marketplace. Of course, you won't be able to reply to posts in the subforums that you do see, but you'll be able to read them.
Er, how does that help me ? I want to be able to choose what I don't see.

Rhys

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Er, how does that help me ? I want to be able to choose what I don't see.
Er, it helps you by eliminating from your view the threads about "endless games" that you specifically complained about in your OP. It's obviously a partial solution, not a panacea.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I also dislike having those in the new posts view (when logged in). Individual threads cannot be removed from New Posts, but a subforum can, but can only be done globally and not for specific members.

But if enough people want this, and the people who use those threads don't mind, then I would be happy to look into how possible this is. But don't hold your breath!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,605 Posts
I also dislike having those in the new posts view (when logged in). Individual threads cannot be removed from New Posts, but a subforum can, but can only be done globally and not for specific members.

But if enough people want this, and the people who use those threads don't mind, then I would be happy to look into how possible this is. But don't hold your breath!
Great Idea, subforum " games" ! If you want to play you do and if you don't want to see them you don't.

Maybe an idea also for " for sale"?

·
14,438 Posts
Maybe create a new section for those game-threads. On occasion, the section where the games are now listed also will have a subject more interesting to me. So, I still check that section just because of that. I'd rather avoid those games and not have to open the games-section. DAVE

·
41,605 Posts
but really the same goes for the for sale section, if one is not interested in buying anything, why would one be subject to the plethora of daily anniversary and special offer and thank you rounds of ads? It is an almost daily occurrence!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,514 Posts
+1 on both games and sales. If there is a way to screen them out of the New Posts that would be great. In fact I suggested that in the long discussion on re-vamping the For Sale rules.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would like all non-sax related topics not show up in new posts....
I use the new posts page as my starting point daily to see what is going on, including what is for sale, however, its not hard to go click on a "new for sale' posts page.
Games are i guess good for some folks, but not sure why they are here at all?
No one comes here looking for games, they come here looking for sax info and items.

·
41,605 Posts
I don't want to see the games, ever. However, I am always interested in seeing what's for sale.
Bu that's precisely the point. If oyu are interested then you click a button and go on the for sale section, but to impose sales on those who aren't buying is not particularly respectful of the membership who is not interested (in the same way that you , and I, aren't interested in games).

Mind you I am saying this from the perspective of someone whom occasionally sells something here, but frankly speaking the last couple of years, the continuous offer of especially mouthpieces, almost daily, has gone through the roof!

·
30,102 Posts
Seeing as (as I mentioned above) as far as I know none of this can be done on a per user preference basis, if we could do this (and that is IF) then we'd want some kind of majority consensus on what we do.

I suspect we won't please half the people half the time. Not even a quarter of the people a third of the time.

·
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seeing as (as I mentioned above) as far as I know none of this can be done on a per user preference basis, if we could do this (and that is IF) then we'd want some kind of majority consensus on what we do.

I suspect we won't please half the people half the time. Not even a quarter of the people a third of the time.
As per my original question, I would like to be able to personally mark a Forum / Sub-Fourm / Thread to indicate that I don't want it to appear on "New Posts". I don't want to impose anything on other forum members or end up with an inflexible system.

It isn't just the Games threads, I also get fed up with many of the For Sale and Wanted threads and some particular threads where they descend into tedious argument or ranting.

There seems to be an automatic system of flagging up where I have started or contributed to a thread. Not understanding the mechanics of what is "under the hood" of the forum I don't know whether what I want is easy or even possible, but it would make my SOTW experience a lot better.

Rhys

·
41,605 Posts
well, there has to be some common meeting ground (in the sense that if you start cliccking anything you don’t want there will be nothing left) otherwise this wouldn’t be FORUM which is by definitions a meeting place, a square.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Agreed, the best solution would be to empower each individual member to flag threads that they personally don't wish to see. We already have the ability to flag members whose posts we don't wish to see.

I would not wish to restrict anybody else's access to their preferred content. I would very much like to streamline my own access to the content I value most at SOTW.

·
30,102 Posts
As per my original question, I would like to be able to personally mark a Forum / Sub-Fourm / Thread to indicate that I don't want it to appear on "New Posts". I don't want to impose anything on other forum members or end up with an inflexible system.

It isn't just the Games threads, I also get fed up with many of the For Sale and Wanted threads and some particular threads where they descend into tedious argument or ranting.

There seems to be an automatic system of flagging up where I have started or contributed to a thread. Not understanding the mechanics of what is "under the hood" of the forum I don't know whether what I want is easy or even possible, but it would make my SOTW experience a lot better.

Rhys
That's right. When you start or contribute to a thread you are subscribed automatically. You can also subscribe to threads or forums manually (so you get notified even if you haven't contributed)

But to have threads or forums discudsed from your very own personal New Posts list is not something that is possible in this clunky old forum software

Agreed, the best solution would be to empower each individual member to flag threads that they personally don't wish to see.
See above, ideal but not possible with this software.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts