Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not a good idea with a metal or hard rubber mouthpiece, but my mouthpiece is plastic (crystallite dukoff) and my reed is also plastic (Legere)

So storing the reed on the mouthpiece should be okay in this case, right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts
No. Let it dry on a flat surface, else it will warp.

Consider also cleaning your mouthpiece so it doesn’t start smelling like your feet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you do with dishes after a meal?
I would clean the reed and mouthpiece regularly, of course. But leaving the reed on the mouthpiece might help the reed conform to possible irregularities in the table of the mouthpiece helping to prevent squeaking. I read David Sanborn does this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts
I would clean the reed and mouthpiece regularly, of course. But leaving the reed on the mouthpiece might help the reed conform to possible irregularities in the table of the mouthpiece helping to prevent squeaking. I read David Sanborn does this.
Sanborn lore aside, that’s just not a good way to go. If that is truly the case, then you cannot anticipate getting a good sound when you use a new reed or change reeds. If “irregularities” are an issue, get the freakin’ thing fixed. Squeaking doesn’t come from any irregularities that will be solved by a warped reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
David's success comes from fantastic voicing, an accommodating mouthpiece/reed combination (FOR HIM), and hours upon hours of practice. If you need to be this fussy about your reed, there's probably something wrong with your mouthpiece, or the type of reed you're using on it.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
No. Let it dry on a flat surface, else it will warp.

Consider also cleaning your mouthpiece so it doesn’t start smelling like your feet.
I would venture that this would happen only if one were to also keep the mouthpiece inside one of their running shoes. Very hard to play a mouthpiece with one's toes AFAIK, but then again teenage boys are capable of any kind of barbarity. But anyway, while feet do sweat, they rarely salivate enough to wet a reed sufficiently. :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts