Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first bari today and I was playing with it, testing it out for about 20 minutes and then I just felt like I was gonna throw up and pass out at the same time. I think it's because I'm not used to working my diaphragm so hard or giving a sax that much air. has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I get this feeling when I’m not breathing properly. Mostly on instruments that take very little air, like soprano and clarinet. So I run out of oxygen before my lungs are empty. Get your air sorted, and you’ll feel better.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,505 Posts
Yesss to cardio and air supply. You may be used to playing pp all the time on a smaller instrument. Now the bari wants to rock.

Gotta Raise your game. Recommend going 15 minutes at a time until you can go longer.

And work on some cardio. Bike, run, swim, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
911 Posts
Welcome the forum Greasy Moo!

I disagree with previous responses, A well set up Bari can play like a tenor or Alto, I use a .85 Selmer Soloist (short shank C/*) and it works fine
A moderate mouthpiece and softer reed will produce an easy blowing experience.
You didnt specify your Bari details and other info - so .. are you legit? BTW not a problem as far as I see it, most enjoy a discussion this topic>

BTY I used to carry the High School Bari with a Small Neck Strap in Parades and we had to march up hill both ways:giggle:

Reactions: swperry1

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
493 Posts
Sure, a well setup bari can play like an alto or tenor.
But it’s their “first Bari”. So what’s more likely here? They need to buy a new mouthpiece/reed combo, or work patiently and slowly towards building the support and strength required to practice on the horn more than 20 without feeling ill?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
911 Posts
Sure, a well setup bari can play like an alto or tenor.
But it’s their “first Bari”. So what’s more likely here? They need to buy a new mouthpiece/reed combo, or work patiently and slowly towards building the support and strength required to practice on the horn more than 20 without feeling ill?
Geeasy moo may be a welcome new member, or a troll
I think the latter, based on the lack of details.

We don't know the specifics, like - how did he/ /she acquire this Bari?
If it was a HS or College Bari, then it probably came with a conservative MP
i played the Bari and switched to Tenor in HS and an averaged sized female took over the Bari I had
played with no issues, in fact she tooted the thing at HS foot ballgames, and marched in parades.
I have never seen anyone on the verge of passing out - you just stop playing

·
Registered
244 Posts
Saxophone teachers have always told me to “put more air through it” and I though I was. I started playing trombone a couple months ago ( I sound terrible! ). The first thing I learned was the bone takes a lot more air. Now my sax is LOUD!

Reactions: soybean and dexdex

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geeasy moo may be a welcome new member, or a troll
I think the latter, based on the lack of details.

We don't know the specifics, like - how did he/ /she acquire this Bari?
If it was a HS or College Bari, then it probably came with a conservative MP
i played the Bari and switched to Tenor in HS and an averaged sized female took over the Bari I had
played with no issues, in fact she tooted the thing at HS foot ballgames, and marched in parades.
I have never seen anyone on the verge of passing out - you just stop playing
walk me through your thought process here, why exactly would a troll who wants to annoy people come to a forum for sax players/enthusiasts and ask a simple, genuine question about a saxophone?
i'm renting this bari from a store in central colorado, it's a buescher 400 bari, and i'm using 2.5 vandorens.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,059 Posts
walk me through your thought process here, why exactly would a troll who wants to annoy people come to a forum for sax players/enthusiasts and ask a simple, genuine question about a saxophone?
i'm renting this bari from a store in central colorado, it's a buescher 400 bari, and i'm using 2.5 vandorens.
If you hang around and look at new posts regularly you’ll see why. Lot’s of new accounts completely trolling and spamming with basic questions. Sometimes it’s for marketplace access and others just straight jackassery.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
20,007 Posts
I have an old Buescher 400. It's a BEAST. I've never, ever felt lightheaded or sick to my stomach after playing it and my primary instrument is clarinet. I use a Rousseau 5R and Hemke 2.5 or 3 reeds.
Have it checked out and maybe go down a bit in reed strength, or try a different brand/cut.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,203 Posts
Two recommendations:

1. swimming
2. Check horn for leaks
Yep. Swimming is the very best thing you can do to build you aerobic capacity. If you are in relatively good health you should give it a try. Try to swim 200 yd or meters and build up to 1000. It will make a world of difference. If that works for you then try some underwater no-breath swimming. Great for building control.

I’m a former masters swimmer and have found myself short of breath playing flute. I’m getting old and am not in the shape I was at 30 or 40. If you try getting in better shape and it’s still making you light headed, two things: 1. get a physical checkup. 2. Give up Bari and try something else.

·
Registered
1955 Conn 16M + 1973 Bundy 1 alto
244 Posts
An older Bari it could have polio, smallpox, and all kinds of other things crawling around in its various roundabouts and dead pools. A Buescher 400 probably doesn't go back far enough for its internal gumbo to also include the Spanish Flu of 1918, but don't rule anything out. Or maybe it's just leaks and breath support.

·
Registered
522 Posts
+1 for hyperventilation. This happens when you are taking in a lot more air than normal and the oxygen level in the blood gets unusually high. A fairly common problem for singers who practice seriously and for players of wind instruments. I find I am much more likely to experience it when playing bari sax or bassoon because they require more air through them than the smaller saxophones.
If it happens, I just sit down until it passes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,778 Posts
Saxophone teachers have always told me to “put more air through it” and I though I was. I started playing trombone a couple months ago ( I sound terrible! ). The first thing I learned was the bone takes a lot more air. Now my sax is LOUD!
I took 1 year of trombone lessons. Excellent school for learning what air support means.
Excellent gentlemen school too: you learn to own a trombone and not play it.

Speaking of feeling dizzy on baritone. I once did a whole gig replacing a tuba in a trad jazz band, playing those typical 1-3 tuba bass lines on old standards on my baritone. Never again ! I was done.

Reactions: Tom West

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the hyperventilation theory (trying to put more air through the Bari) and with the swimming as preferred solution. I'm a scuba diver and this exercise (extend the breathing out & deeper inhales) is an method to try extend your under water range in the swimming pool. It can give you a light headed, or even sick, feeling when doing too long.

Reactions: ROC
1 - 20 of 28 Posts