Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I played Bari Sax all last year for jazz band, and besides my air speed my notes came out great. But once I got to Alto Sax this year, I can't seem to get anything past my Low D out. I've been switching from Bass Clarinet to Saxophone for 1 1/2 years now, but I've always been able to hit low notes.

My Alto, granted, isn't in the best shape since it belongs to my (high) school, but could that really be the reason? I mean sometimes I can hold it, but no more than 2 four count measures.

Help!?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It could be a number of things. Going from bari to alto is a pretty significant change in embouchure, so your mouth may have become accustomed to the loose embouchure of that big monster :p Try tightening up, and make sure to keep it tight and keep your throat open. Start on softer reeds at first, just to get your feet wet a little.
It could also be the fact that you have a leak. I'm by no means knowledgeable in any kinds of repairs or repair info, so I won't BS you with what pads it might be...just that it could be a potential problem :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi and welcome to SOTW. I might as well be the bad cop and ask you not to post the same question in more than one area. It makes it hard to keep track of the replies, because nobody wants to answer the same question in both areas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
I would guess you could have a leak, which is affecting your sound, ok the embouchure is going to be a little more different for an alto,but if you have played bass cl, also you will soon adjust to it.
I would get it checked out first, and then go from there..

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It definitely could be a leak. Also, try your alto mouthpiece by itself. It shoud be concert a. Two above middle c. And relax your embouchure as much as possible and push from the diaphragm. Relax your larynx like you were singing the low notes and try to hear the pitch you are plAying. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts