Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all.

It has sucked for weeks but today is really exceptional.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
16,874 Posts
Haven't had any problems today. Problems in previous days/weeks, however.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,230 Posts
it has been going increasingly bad the last few days while the speed of my connection was at its peak really, so must be the forum server

·
Banned
1,727 Posts
My problem is logging in. I have to keep on and on logging in. It keeps cancelling itself out. Any suggestions? I've cleared all my cookies. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

·
39,230 Posts
must be something your browser does. I have this with a version of firefox I use on an old computer (never bothered too much to find out why because it isn't my main computer), by the way in the version of firefox that works well I do accept cookies.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,439 Posts
My problem is logging in. I have to keep on and on logging in. It keeps cancelling itself out. Any suggestions? I've cleared all my cookies. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?
Do you tick the ' remember me ' box?

·
39,230 Posts
Do you tick the ' remember me ' box?
yes on both and one, the modern firefox with cookies enabled remembers me, the other with no cookies (I think to remember it is set like this ), doesn't

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
I have been looking into various ways to tweaking the performance.
Looks like there is a simple solution left, rent a more powerful server. Our usage has really grown since the last upgrade.
I will get the SOTW tech guy to do the transfer next week. Hang in there until that.

BTW, we are open again for your kind donations. Look for the yellow button above the navigation bar.

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
server CPUs and memory

Harri,

Just curious what kind of disk space and bandwidth requirements the site would need.
Currently having an Intel Core™ 2 Duo dedicated server:
  • Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 1.80GHz
  • L2 Cache: 2MB
  • RAM: 1GB
  • Drive: 250GB SATA2
  • Bandwidth: 1300GB (100Mbps port)
The next step from www.cari.net would be:
  • Processor: 2x Xeon Irwindale
  • L2 Cache: 4MB (2x2MB)
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Drive: 160GB SATA
  • Bandwidth: 2000GB (100Mbps port)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Wouldn't it be more economical to buy the required parts to make a server machine and upgrade them when the forum needs extra power rather than paying a monthly rent? Just asking...

Victor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Wouldn't it be more economical to buy the required parts to make a server machine and upgrade them when the forum needs extra power rather than paying a monthly rent? Just asking...

Victor.
If it's a box in a colo, it's probably a major PITA to get out there and upgrade it, even if it's possible. There are times when it makes a lot more sense to just swap the whole box at once.

What, you think he's running this out of his house?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

Victor.
I tried some of this back in the early days of the internet. Running your own servers and buying bandwidth yourself is a big hassle and very expensive. Companies that host this as a service are able to take advantage of economy of scale. The forum owner still has to upload the forum, configure and maintain it. But the hosting company takes care of the hardware. This is a much better and more efficient system in my way of thinking. ;)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts

Victor.
I tried some of this back in the early days of the internet. Running your own servers and buying bandwidth yourself is a big hassle and very expensive. Companies that host this as a service are able to take advantage of economy of scale. The forum owner still has to upload the forum, configure and maintain it. But the hosting company takes care of the hardware. This is a much better and more efficient system in my way of thinking. ;)
This is what I meant.

Victor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah, and forum is offline sometimes. it 'd be good if the connection was improved.
And yes, my internet works fine

1 - 20 of 35 Posts