Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed it a few weeks ago and couldn't put my finger on it, but this evening having not eaten anything substantial since late morning, when I started practicing then playing, the sound I was producing was mellow, smooth and just as I had been trying to repeat.

Could the fact that there was not so much food in my stomach give me a larger area to resonate from or could it be that there was more room for air?

Maybe I am talking out of my As* and maybe it was just a coincidence, however would I welcome your thoughts.:!:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,029 Posts
If I'm not distracted by hunger, I do feel better when playing if I haven't recently had a meal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Absolutely, When I play weddings we usually get a big fancy meal. It sure is tough to get Rockin' after a big steak. :cry:

·
13,029 Posts
jentone said:
Absolutely, When I play weddings we usually get a big fancy meal. I sure is tough to get Rockin' after a big steak. :cry:
Burping up gravy while playing SUCKS!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Many aspiring musicians find that practicing and playing while hungry becomes a habit . . . ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like playing another set after a meal.
Just add to the list of variables:
Reed/mouthpiece/ligature/neck/horn/Strap?/RoomAcoustics/
stomachContent/bloodSugarLevel/earwaxThickness/generalhydration
/TimeOfDay?/AirTemperature/altitude/energyLevel/EmotionalState/DigestiveState/
fingerNailLength/SockTightness/ToenailLength
What have I missed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
The initial stages of digestion take up a lot of energy from your body (30% if I remember those biology classes loooong ago), that's why you'd feel the cold more if you get out in chilly temperatures just after a good meal.... so it makes sense not to play just after a hearty meal.
(those rehearsals or practice sessions just after lunch are not great indeed....)

·
3,494 Posts
Jkulin said:
Is it me or does playing on an Empty stomach sound better?

It depends on whose empty stomach you are playing on ! ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I tend to eat ALOT if the food is free. The body stuff sounds insteresting but plainly speaking my body IS stuffed. I just can't breath as deeply. Hopefully the food is agreeable or the night gets REALLY INTERESTING.:D

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
jentone said:
Absolutely, When I play weddings we usually get a big fancy meal. It sure is tough to get Rockin' after a big steak. :cry:
Yeah, but I bet you get a great "meaty" tone, though...

·
Registered
486 Posts
You are able to breathe more deeply when your stomach is empty. That is definitely going to affect your tone if you are not a chest breather.

Datsaxguy

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I find this question interesting! If I'm too hungry, I can't breath correctly. If I'm too full, I can't breath correctly! The last thing I want to do is pig out on a casual! The food may be good,(or great), but I can't breath properly. The second worse thing, is eating fast food, 30 minutes before a recording session! The saliva flows, big time!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
jentone said:
I tend to eat ALOT if the food is free.
That's the way with most musicians. I know a band who arrived at a gig and immediately tucked into the free bowl of fruit in the dressing room - ate the lot. It turned out later that the fruit belonged to a juggler who was also on the bill. The band ate the juggler's props… how about that?

·
13,029 Posts
martysax said:
I like eating, then playing a set, especially if it causes gas. I've been known to hit tri-tones.

My bass player, on the other hand, doesn't appreciate it.
Do you drive your company car to these gigs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts