Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been viewing some you tube videos of Wouter Kiers,a great tenor player from the Netherlands. Big fat tone and great chops. There are some clips of him playing a tenor with black laquer and flames. Could this be an LA sax, does anybody know? Other clips show him with I think an old conn. Monster player!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I was just going to say that Peter knows him. Wouter has a number of horns, one with flames, one Leopard... Always with the same big Link STM.

·
Premium Member
18,610 Posts
I have recently been viewing some you tube videos of Wouter Kiers,a great tenor player from the Netherlands. Big fat tone and great chops. There are some clips of him playing a tenor with black laquer and flames. Could this be an LA sax, does anybody know? Other clips show him with I think an old conn. Monster player!
Indeed Wouter is a great player and also a very nice guy. He has several horns, it's always a surprise to see which one he uses on the next gig. Don't know them all, but I know he has a Mark VI, an old Conn, a Keilworth (black) and a Super Mark King with special flames airbrushed. You can see the last one on his site. Check the picture under the tab 'material': http://www.wouterkiers.nl/web.html

- Can you give us the link to the clip with the tenor you mean? With that link I can ask Wouter to confirm.

I guess you've seen this thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...Netherlands-Rinus-Groeneveld-and-Wouter-Kiers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
That old Conn is mine, now for 2 years. Love that horn. A modest man - when he came over for me to try out the horn I asked him: aren't you THE Wouter Kiers?. He gave me a look like: yeah, right...

·
Premium Member
18,610 Posts
That old Conn is mine, now for 2 years. Love that horn. A modest man - when he came over for me to try out the horn I asked him: aren't you THE Wouter Kiers?. He gave me a look like: yeah, right...
I bought a modern metal Link STM 9* from Wouter for my alto. Indeed a modest man, but not on the stage!

whatever a Mark King is why don't you ask him?

http://www.wouterkiers.nl/web.html
Maybe it's a mixture of a Mark VI and a King Super 20, milandro :bluewink:! Last time I met Wouter he told me he wants a Selmer SA 80 with special gold engraving, something like the late Johnny Griffin and Illinois Jacquet played at the end of their career.

When the poster gives us the link to the clip I can ask Wouter which sax he played.

·
Premium Member
18,610 Posts
Wouter confirmed that it's a LA sax with flames airbrushed on it by Johan de Champs. The 'Super Mark King' mentioned on his site is a typical Wouter joke :).

His mouthpiece is a Florida Otto Link 9* and I think he uses 3,5 plastic reeds at present.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys that I haven't checked on this thread for a while. Thanks for your input and the answer to my question. I am not great at posting links for you tube . If you go in you tube and type in Tribute to Boots Randolph by Wouter Kiers, you will see the tenor I was referring to. Regardless, he would probably sound great on any horn. Again, thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts