Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Saxfriends. After several days of research in the net, unfortunately I still haven't found any suitable answer to my question. I think that I want to buy a Yanagisawa saxophone but I'm not so sure if the sellers details are right, especially beacuase I can't find any page with serial numbers that would suite to this one. The number ist 00778554. Can anyone help me? Please ! I've attached some pics, I hope it helps. Plus, the Yanagisawa logo on the sax doesn't look that good, so I'm a little frightened if this is an "original" (which is funny to ask because the Yanis were copies of Selmers...)
Thank you very much !

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi
Can you put up two good pic's side ways on...Both sides. I would very much like to see the bell brace. This could very well be a T6 . The T6 came just before the T500 and your one looks just like a T500... but without the High F# key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Can you put up two good pic's side ways on...Both sides. I would very much like to see the bell brace. This could very well be a T6 . The T6 came just before the T500 and your one looks just like a T500... but without the High F# key.
Thanks, if these attachend are not sufficient, I'll try to make some more by the end of the week when I receive it. But if anyone else has more of information, I would be glad. I'm espacially concerned about the fact that the numbers do not match the standard "Yani-Code" with 12........

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Whatever it is thiat era of Yanagisawa are some well playing horns. I think if it doesn't have a pants guard it is a T5 or T4.The nickel plated keys would make you think it is an intermediate model but it will still play better than %99 of the saxes you can buy in that lower price range (hope you got it cheap).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the serial #. It is genuine Yani - that much we know for sure.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Interesting! I've seen and played this very instrument - had it not been for the fact that my Cannonball was slightly superior in one or two aspects, I'd've bought it myself.

A remark in general: Don't confuse the T-6 with a T-500 - while they look quite similar in many aspects, they're not the same; the T-6 was a pro horn meant to emulate a Selmer MK VI, but the T-500 was meant to be an intermediate horn; in some ways (body quality), it was. For what it's worth, I'd say this is most certainly a T-6 (I've studied this horn - it shares a LOT of features and details with both my A-6 and B-6), but a peculiar one, to be sure. As far as my - rather extensive - research online and offline is able to verify, it misses some of the characteristics of the (earlier) T-500, too - though I don't know about later ones, but this'd be middle of the production run... Most prominently, the crook/neck seems to be untypical, but I know that they changed that during the production run, so it's no definite proof.

Besides, from what I've learned about Yanagisawa serial numbers in the last two years, this is more likely a 7-78 (July 78) than a '77 horn in spite of the two leading zeros, but then, that'd not really make a difference, would it? The "standard" leading "12" is a myth originating from the SaxPics site - one or two leading zeros are frequent, as are other numbers; it's not even a given that the third and fourth number make the production year (we've seen example on which this would have been impossible here on the board). To sum it up: Yani encoded the production year into the serial before the actual production number and most probably added a hint at the month, too; to say more is to speculate too wildly (I still have to figure out what a leading "21" is supposed to mean - I've seen "60", "06" and "006" in front of a likely "77", "76" and "79" respectively where a production year of '67 would have been impossible - they were B-6s).

Granted, there are some strange details like the additional (and not matching) serial numbers on the palm keys and the thumb rest/hook that don't seem to be the same color (if I recall correctly). My best guess is that this is a sort of Franken-horn - parts from different instruments to either repair it or re-create it out of two (or possibly more) half-gone horns; I've seen signs of similar procedures on other horns of the 6 series. Just to mention it, I'm not even sure the keywork's nickel plated - the silver plated keywork on my alto looks quite similar in spots (even down to the spots, if you excuse the pun). The result is, however, a fully working horn - not beautiful, but it plays well. The "missing" high F# is a common denominator of all Yanis of the 6 series as far as I can tell. The T-800/T-880 had the high F#, as had, presumably, the late T-500.

I've played it twice and liked it quite a bit - better in fact than my T-800 but just a little less than my Cannonball; in fact, I had quite a hard time letting it pass. It's a charmer for sure, and well set up, at that (if a bit conventional - I'd've chosen metal resonators over plastic ones but that's largely a matter of taste). If I recall the asking price correctly, it's not a steal but a fair deal in any case (at least looking at the Swiss market...).

M.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here's an early T-500 (a little younger even). Not the same sax. Note the neck/crook; note also the serial number format!

The *only* thing that might suggest a T-500 is the - possibly - nickel keywork, but that has peculiarities of its own that tell a different story (later changes). I'm still absolutely sure it's a T-6 since I have my A-6 and B-6 to compare.

M.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi
I have already said that it was prob a T6 ... But without better pics I would not firm that up ! The silver horn in your post is a Very, VERY Non standard T500. This horn has been customised or is a special order from the factory. Most will look very much like a T6 but with high f# . Just to make it clear the T6 evolved into the T500.

Sometimes I think players read way too much into the (T500 Intermediate horn thing ) This (T6/T500Body quality/Cheap metal) thing is a bit of a Joke ! If you look at the cost of a brand new T500 and the T880 you will see that the T500 was never a cheap horn. Yanagisawa were in need a sax on the market to run along-side the horns of the then market leader Yamaha.

This is Also a T500--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/YANAGISAWA-...reat-Horn-/230637292684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

·
Registered
860 Posts
ManEast: My A-6 and B-6 are silver, my T-?00 (I'll settle for that atm) isn't, it's gold lacquer. THIS horn (the horn in this thread) has a lacquer body and a nickel or silver plated keywork with curiosly non-matching parts as far as *serial numbers* are concerned. It might be a special order alright, no problems with that; that's in fact a better explanation than my "Franken-horn" theory.

That said, I think there *is* a problem since the T-500 *is said* to be an inferior horn because people actually buy that. I haven't found any evidence that this is really true except from rumors yet, so I'm pretty cool with whatever the outcome may be - I'm just really curious, but that's not the issue here. There are those who might think differently about the key question. That's a pity, and I still think it's not as important as we are making it appear by bickering about it. My point was that in this case, there's a couple of good reasons not to worry about that question at all.

In my experience, and that's what I try to get across here, the 6 series are particularily fine players - for whatever reason. And from what I got from the horn mentioned here when I actually played it, it's a better horn then my T-?00; had it not been for my Cannonball, I'd bought it! The core and colour of the tone say "6" (not "VI") as much as the keywork details I could make out. I'll say it again, the horn in question is - all questions aside - a fine player that's worth the money (if, indeed, the price asked is the one I know of - give or take 20% in this case).

M.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here's an early T-500 (a little younger even). Not the same sax. Note the neck/crook; note also the serial number format!

The *only* thing that might suggest a T-500 is the - possibly - nickel keywork, but that has peculiarities of its own that tell a different story (later changes). I'm still absolutely sure it's a T-6 since I have my A-6 and B-6 to compare.

M.
Sorry M... I ment that the Silver T500 with gold keys was a Custom job. The neck looks to be one of Yanagisawa's Solid Siver necks ...but the body looks more like it has been silver plated and then the gold key-work put back on.

I think the T6 is all original.

M your horn was made in 89. If in 89 you had walked into T.W Howarth of London (after a cash deal). The T880 would cost you £1120.00. The Yamaha YTS62 is £1024. A YTS 32 would be £842.00 and your T500 would come in just under that at £805.00. Yanagisawa was not half as well known as Yamaha back then, and not so easy to sell.... and as such were very aggresively priced.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I saw the 89 Howarth catalogue (was it you who posted that?) - it was what initially convinced me that I had a T-500; but that's for another thread.

I was trying to make the point that OP's horn is a T-6... I have to apologise to the OP for sort of highjacking the thread (though I didn't mean to and still don't know why it happened - except that there's another thread where similar issues are discussed).

M.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Thanks, if these attachend are not sufficient, I'll try to make some more by the end of the week when I receive it. But if anyone else has more of information, I would be glad. I'm espacially concerned about the fact that the numbers do not match the standard "Yani-Code" with 12........
Please do some more pics with a few good close-up's . I think its a fine horn, so you did good. I would still like to see it close-up.:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
246 Posts
I have owned some Yanagisawa built saxes that looked the same A5 or T5 with high F# key. They were stencils and carried the name "Corton Deluxe". Good saxes. Quite common here in Sweden. Some information I have says these saxes are made before Yanagisawa began to sell saxes under thier own name here in Sweden. I think the sax could be manufactoried in 1977.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Saxyledies are your saxophone got number under G# pads? Because I bought Yani few days ago - number 00677508 and under my pads there is a 508 number. My sax looks same as Yours but the difrence is gold pads on my sax and silver on yours

·
Registered
712 Posts
You mean "keys" not pads. The pads are the leather things under the keys.
Yes, my horn and probably most (vintage at least) yanis will have it under every table key.
Mine does... I have a T-6 but no original neck, unfortunately :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts