Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in Honduras, Central America, my native country. Being here is very difficult to get one instrument in good condition. I have a friend who is selling a slightly used Jupiter 889SG Tenor sax. It is in pretty good condition, pads are nice, neck cork is still very clear and it seems the original, which makes me believe the horns has been kept w/o much playing. It needs only to be cleaned from tarnish (silver finish) It feels a bit heavy in my hands but it has a nice dark sound. I think neck is made from solid silver and it has the stock mouthpiece, nice brown solid case and a strap included. He is selling it for US$ 630.00 Any input? is it a good offer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
I have no idea what the local economic conditions in Honduras are, but in good, playable condition $630 would be a decent price for that horn here in the States. I like those horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
If the neck is indeed solid silver, then it's probably worth that
much for the silver content.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Any type of price discussion is relative to what you are willing to pay. But, as a point of reference, I paid $675.00 for one about a year ago in excellant condition and mine does have the sterling silver neck. I'm very happy with it, btw.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I think they all have the silver neck. I have one but don't like it much. I like it enough to keep because it's pretty and it plays OK... A good goal would be to pay between 25%-35% of the retail price of the horn new for student to intermediate models.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot everyone for your input. I played a gig last Sunday with this Tenor and I am very pleased. The only minus is maybe my left hand feels a little bit open to reach the octave key, compared with my YTS-61, I am considering the purchase.
The neck says Sterling Silver, which i have read is an alloy from solid silver and some other metal,

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they all have the silver neck. I have one but don't like it much. I like it enough to keep because it's pretty and it plays OK... A good goal would be to pay between 25%-35% of the retail price of the horn new for student to intermediate models.
Thanks Fader, a 35% of the WWBW price for the tenor artist is US$ 665.00 , so I see that is a good price

1 - 9 of 9 Posts