Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video on youtube of GWJr playing at some 1988 jazz fest in Rhode Island.

My question is if he used pentatonic licks in this video:

What type of lick is he using at the 3:25-3:27 mark of this video?

I am very interested in learning these types of licks.

The lick at the 3:25-3:27 mark is awesome.

I would like to know what type of lick is that at the 1:49-1:55 mark? Is it a pentatonic one?

Grover Washington's music is my #1 influence on the saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
The whole video is pretty much exclusively made up of the pentatonic scale, mixolydian scale and the blues scale. He outlines a minor line cliche on a v-7 at 3:13 with a classic bebop lick. There's a chromatic passing tone at 3:25. He plays the 1:50 lick up a step at 4:16, and comes down a ii-7 chord at 4:50. That's pretty much the extent of his harmonic content here. Great performance!

3:25 starts on the b7, goes to the root, back to the b7, passes through the 6th and a chromatic passing tone (b6th) on its way to the 5th, and then finishes on the 6th. In G that would be F, G, F, E, Eb, D, E. 1:40-1:55 is a lower chromatic approach note to the major 3rd, the major 3rd then the 5th. Rinse, wash, repeat. LOL. In G that means Bb, B, D over and over.

BTW, I have no idea what key he's in. No perfect pitch, and it's late so I can't check on the horn.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Is that Shelley Hack dancing at 2:99 in the video?
This video made me remember how great Grover was at his Pop jazz thing.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole video is pretty much exclusively made up of the pentatonic scale, mixolydian scale and the blues scale. He outlines a minor line cliche on a v-7 at 3:13 with a classic bebop lick. There's a chromatic passing tone at 3:25. He plays the 1:50 lick up a step at 4:16, and comes down a ii-7 chord at 4:50. That's pretty much the extent of his harmonic content here. Great performance!

3:25 starts on the b7, goes to the root, back to the b7, passes through the 6th and a chromatic passing tone (b6th) on its way to the 5th, and then finishes on the 6th. In G that would be F, G, F, E, Eb, D, E. 1:40-1:55 is a lower chromatic approach note to the major 3rd, the major 3rd then the 5th. Rinse, wash, repeat. LOL. In G that means Bb, B, D over and over.

BTW, I have no idea what key he's in. No perfect pitch, and it's late so I can't check on the horn.

I want to have the type of style he has when I go pro on the sax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts