Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
about beer , a staple of musician's life.

There are many brewing styles and some very popular ones have such a light taste that I don't find have any taste at all (which is a taste in its own right) I'd suggest to check the German Reinheitsgebot or Beer Purity Law.
Since 1516 has been regulating the German beer production. ( by the way, Beer in Germany was not considered a " drink" but food, part of the daily diet and nourishment and as such enjoyed the law's protection so that the people would bet proper clean and wholesome " food" something we should really still achieve in many modern countries! )

According to this law most popular beer don't qualify to be called beer (certainly not Heineken " pils").

I agree there is much nonsense these days in the world of craft beer, but the large multinational industry have brought us to call beer something that is very far from what this was.

I'd suggest to try Altbeer from D眉sseldorf

" Reinheitsgebot

We hereby proclaim and decree, by Authority of our Province, that henceforth in the Duchy of Bavaria, in the country as well as in the cities and marketplaces, the following rules apply to the sale of beer:
From Michaelmas to Georgi, the price for one Mass [Bavarian Liter 1,069] or one Kopf [bowl-shaped container for fluids, not quite one Mass], is not to exceed one Pfennig Munich value, and
From Georgi to Michaelmas, the Mass shall not be sold for more than two Pfennig of the same value, the Kopf not more than three Heller [Heller usually one-half Pfennig].
If this not be adhered to, the punishment stated below shall be administered.
Should any person brew, or otherwise have, other beer than March beer, it is not to be sold any higher than one Pfennig per Mass.
Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, market-towns and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail.
Should, however, an innkeeper in the country, city or market-towns buy two or three pails of beer (containing 60 Mass) and sell it again to the common peasantry, he alone shall be permitted to charge one Heller more for the Mass or the Kopf, than mentioned above. Furthermore, should there arise a scarcity and subsequent price increase of the barley (also considering that the times of harvest differ, due to location), WE, the Bavarian Duchy, shall have the right to order curtailments for the good of all concerned..."

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
OK! I have three gigs this weekend: A Steak House, A country club private party & a wedding reception...so, I'll try to apply some of the above golden gems of wisdom.

I suppose now that I have left the day job & drawing SSI, I need to pay more attention to the food & drink issue, as a budgetary principle & also attempting to get the most from my gigging experiences.

Thanks again for the accumulated wisdom!

Premium Member
My old bandleader Ollie Mitchell called free food and drinks 鈥榦verscale鈥.

Registered
for sure it shouldnt substitute pay
but, when i was younger, and lean and "hungry", if there was free food at a gig or wedding, i would be the first in line after the break ( at a wedding even in front of the guests hahaha)...if you are on a budget, free food is a meal .

when im older, though, i have to eat healthier . its not the same

the drink thing can get funny. i would start a run somewhere and have drink at the end of the night...then it would be before the last set ...after a while and every thing gets routine, you start asking for the first drink before the first set...ive pretty much quit drinking now. i wasnt an alcoholic, but, i started noticing the toll it was taking. not that i couldnt get back into it as some point, hopefully in moderation, i was never a drunk, but , im not drinking now

Registered
I wouldn't call my last gig at the German Hall with unlimited beer a boost in any way............on man, what an ugly last set.

Registered
I wouldn't call my last gig at the German Hall with unlimited beer a boost in any way............on man, what an ugly last set.
Made me chuckle. I can remember (sort of) a few gigs like that.

All kidding aside, I don't generally think of food and drink as "pay." They're more like perks that you may or may not want or be able to take advantage of.

I always feel like free food at the gig has to be approached with caution. You don't generally don't know what will be available, how good it will be, when you'll be allowed to eat, etc. So I always think it's best to eat before you head over there, and then eat at the gig if it turns out the food's good, you have time to sit down and enjoy it, etc.

Drinks are even more problematic. Over the years, I've played with lots of guys who don't drink, either because they are alcoholics or because they just don't. I myself won't have more than one beer or one glass of wine on the gig anymore. So free drinks only wind up being a "pay boost" for people who have lots of them, which isn't necessarily the best thing for anyone.

Registered
I approach gigs with a "better to ask forgiveness than ask permission". In other words, pass the hors d'oeuvres table on the way to the men's room? Grab some on the way back. Try the open bar, see if works for the band. I've played very few affairs where the band didn't eat. I don't mind sitting in the bar at the Country Club and not the main room. I would rather have that than sitting in the main room and only being allowed up to but not including the main course. THAT is crap and it has happened. My dad had a band for years and taught me a few things. He played over 1000 weddings and countless dances and other functions.

Registered
I approach gigs with a "better to ask forgiveness than ask permission". In other words, pass the hors d'oeuvres table on the way to the men's room? Grab some on the way back. Try the open bar, see if works for the band. I've played very few affairs where the band didn't eat. I don't mind sitting in the bar at the Country Club and not the main room. I would rather have that than sitting in the main room and only being allowed up to but not including the main course. THAT is crap and it has happened. My dad had a band for years and taught me a few things. He played over 1000 weddings and countless dances and other functions.
My opinion too. When they ask me what I need I always say, "Where's the bar, the big shrimp and the men's room?"
One band in particular I play with who I know the wedding planners hate to see. We never hesitate to partake in everything and they know it's part of our deal with the bride and groom since they see us play and hire us.
One Latin band I played with in Miami the bass player seemed like he was always first in line when the buffet opened. Once I saw him in front of the bride and groom. The leader went over and told him to go to the end of the line. The band was cracking up.

Registered
One Latin band I played with in Miami the bass player seemed like he was always first in line when the buffet opened. Once I saw him in front of the bride and groom. The leader went over and told him to go to the end of the line. The band was cracking up.
I know a guy like that and he's also a bass player..........must be the instrument. His motto when gigging is "eat when you can, drink when you can, crap when you can, because you don't know when the next opportunity will be there".

Registered
TO BE CLEAR: I am NOT a guy who plays for food & drink, I play 3-4 nights a week for $$, but quite often the gig include "Food & Drink". Initially this sounded great, however after several years I'm finding it not to be so. Here's my experience:

1.Eating before the gig: requires getting there earlier, which I don't want to do, plus I don't play well on a full stomach.

2. Eating on a Break: Requires exact timing by your server & kitchen, which rarely happens. Breaks are usually 15 min, which actually only leave about 10 min eating time & again I'm trying to blow a horn with a full stomach.

3. Eating after the gig: which requires staying longer, and again cooperation with Server & Kitchen

4. Taking it to go: Which actually is my best option, I carry kitchen towels in the car to keep from spilling while driving

5. Add in the pressure to order from the lower end of the menu so as to not appear to be abusing the privilege.

Overall, Free Food & Drink actually hasn't proven to be that much of a bonus. SO WHAT AM I MISSING?
Agreed - these days (unless it's something really special), I don't come early or stick around for it. I'll take a free beer at the gig though, but I certainly don't consider it part of the pay. :)

Registered
Nothing like playing a fancy/schmancy gig, and seeing all the great food knowing a meal is included. Then the band is led to their table where awaits... bandwiches.
Gotta love those bandwiches. Actually, maybe you don't.

Registered
Unexpected question. Quite interesting answers : they give insight on the musician approach.

The fact that musicians may often work in places where food and drinks are served is definitely blurring the lines.
The factoid that dark ages 'menestrels' and 'troubadours' would pay for they stay at the local tavern by gratifying the clientele with their arts is probably also blurring some lines, but that one may be only in my head. Especially since even if that was true, it would probably be only ancient history.

Here is the perspective of an amateur who never gigged in such places, and works in a completely different context.
In other work sectors, it is common practice for a company to have a set of 'secondary advantages' (the primary one would be the salary), a very common one of them being vouchers for restaurants. Not all of them take them, but many do. These advantages are generally discussed within the interviews for selecting the employee, and eventually even cited in the contract.
Moreover, and if I am correct, it is also mandatory (by law) for large companies to provide the employees with some on-site restauration options (low fares implied).

My point here is that 'secondary advantages' (such as food and drinks in our case) are a just a modern currency and common practice : one part of the discussion/negociations at interview time. I wasn't aware it could be different (nor that it would be a 'special issue') for musicians ! Especially since they work at times and places where food and drinks are consumed ?

With that regard, the question was unexpected to me : food is neither automatically granted nor denied. In my mind neither would it impact seriously the pay. It's just one more parameter to discuss and set clear from the start.

Registered
We have a meal in the contract for wedding gigs. After all, the gigs are typically 4-5 hours and require early setup. We also get paid nicely for them, and the majority have open bar (did you know it's illegal to serve the band at a wedding in New Hampshire?). Clubs, on the other hand, tend to suck(this is a cover band, not a jazz band). Charge us full price for beer and pay us crap. We are doing few and fewer of them, thankfully.

Distinguished SOTW Member.
TO BE CLEAR: I am NOT a guy who plays for food & drink, I play 3-4 nights a week for $$, but quite often the gig include "Food & Drink". Initially this sounded great, however after several years I'm finding it not to be so. Here's my experience:

1.Eating before the gig: requires getting there earlier, which I don't want to do, plus I don't play well on a full stomach.

2. Eating on a Break: Requires exact timing by your server & kitchen, which rarely happens. Breaks are usually 15 min, which actually only leave about 10 min eating time & again I'm trying to blow a horn with a full stomach.

3. Eating after the gig: which requires staying longer, and again cooperation with Server & Kitchen

4. Taking it to go: Which actually is my best option, I carry kitchen towels in the car to keep from spilling while driving

5. Add in the pressure to order from the lower end of the menu so as to not appear to be abusing the privilege.

Overall, Free Food & Drink actually hasn't proven to be that much of a bonus. SO WHAT AM I MISSING?
Missing nothing. That sounds like me.

I don't eat on the gig, and I drink nothing but warm green tea because I also sing. I'll take food home if offered, but don't consider it part of the pay, just a kindness on the part of the entertainment purchaser.

I come to entertain. Full stomach limits my air, food in the horn is less than sanitary, and alcohol dulls my wits and ability to give the audience the best experience that I am capable of.

Insights and incites by Notes

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
Yeah. Guesswork at the gig makes for a bad time ...

Get it in the contract, and have a nice chat about it ahead of time.
Lots of things to talk about ahead of time, including food and drink for the band.

So simple!

Oh, and I always have something in my bag in case the local food is supplied per the contract, but does not suit me or a colleague. It happens, and I won't complain if they tried to make it work.

Oktoberfest season hits hard next weekend. Germans love to eat, and are great hosts. And the bier is excellent.

I subbed with a German brass band at an Oktoberfest gig last year. TWO litres of yummy German bier per musician per set. Five sets. I drank two for the whole night. More than enough. Some folks kept up with the supply. I truly do not know how that was possible.

dat
sax
man

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
I subbed with a German brass band at an Oktoberfest gig last year. TWO litres of yummy German bier per musician per set. Five sets. I drank two for the whole night. More than enough. Some folks kept up with the supply. I truly do not know how that was possible.

dat
sax
man
Yikes.
I have heard Germans declare that once you drink six liters of beer all the rest you drink after that is like water.
But I never believed it, and I do not think they did, either.

Registered
Yikes.
I have heard Germans declare that once you drink six liters of beer all the rest you drink after that is like water.
But I never believed it, and I do not think they did, either.
To be honest, for someone who's used to Belgian beer, German beer being like water starts around... beer #1.:whistle::twisted:

Registered
To be honest, for someone who's used to Belgian beer, German beer being like water starts around... beer #1.:whistle::twisted:
Hey, watch your potty mouth :) I used to work in a small country brewery near Munich as summer job during grad school and we won the European Gold Medal 3 years in a row. Arguably, it is not like Belgian but it ain't as bad as you make it sound :)

61 - 80 of 85 Posts