Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That'd be sad if so, but website no longer exists and in e-mails to Sherry's two addresses one comes back undeliverable and the other has garnered no response.

That would be sad, she was very, very good.

And there is a dearth of instrument engravers these days...

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
That'd be sad if so, but website no longer exists and in e-mails to Sherry's two addresses one comes back undeliverable and the other has garnered no response.

That would be sad, she was very, very good.

And there is a dearth of instrument engravers these days...
She was really great, did a bunch of stuff for me. She moved to Europe?!! Phil Barone

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The word has been out among repair techs that Sherry has been planning to retire for some time now. Doing this type of work over a span of 30+ years takes its toll. She is to be commended for doing it as long as she has. Last June she gave a week long workshop at NAPBIRT Headquarters to try to pass along her skill and knowledge to others coming up. Cannonball musical instruments has also brought her to Utah to help train their relatively new staff of engravers. In any event she has left some very big shoes to fill and will be missed. Jaice Dumars is an excellent engraver but he prefers to create his own patterns and designs rather than "re-cut" the engraving on vintage instruments which was Sherry's forte. Hopefully she will continue to give workshops and clinics to pass on her knowledge and technique to younger artisans coming up. For those who are not familiar with Sherry's work, here is video she made a while back.

·
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow....gosh...dammit......darnit. :(

Thanks for providing that info, Saxoclese.

I really doubt anyone can actually ever fill her shoes. Her work was top-notch, incredibly reasonably priced as well.

Phil, Saxo...and anyone else...do you happen to know anyone else who does the sort of work she used to do ? There is some fellow on LI named Ray Noguera...anyone have any experience with him ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,029 Posts
Seems like the perfect gig for a creative individual or individuals to fill. There are a lot of young people who seem to embrace hand made items. Besides, one could live anywhere (tiny home) and do this work “if” they have the skill and passion for such precise work. Should be a good space for someone to fill, if aware of the need.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I’ve watched that video a few times. I was amazed how fast the engraving is done.

I would imagine that all the hand work could cause some serious Repetitive Strain issues.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Phil, Saxo...and anyone else...do you happen to know anyone else who does the sort of work she used to do ? There is some fellow on LI named Ray Noguera...anyone have any experience with him ?[/COLOR]
Ray owns Laconia Music Center in New Hyde Park - I've been to him for some dent work on my horns. I haven't had him do any for me but I know he does engraving - I think re-cuts as well as originals that he started doing to put on custom trumpets. He's into the history of it and has a collection of highly engraved horns shown on his site, the Museum of Musical Instrument Engraving: http://www.momie.org/aboutus.html
He also has a facebook page about it: https://www.facebook.com/Ray-Nogueras-Musical-Instrument-Engraving-108946655812783/

·
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ray owns Laconia Music Center in New Hyde Park - I've been to him for some dent work on my horns. I haven't had him do any for me but I know he does engraving - I think re-cuts as well as originals that he started doing to put on custom trumpets. He's into the history of it and has a collection of highly engraved horns shown on his site, the Museum of Musical Instrument Engraving: http://www.momie.org/aboutus.html
He also has a facebook page about it: https://www.facebook.com/Ray-Nogueras-Musical-Instrument-Engraving-108946655812783/
Thanks, Samu. Yeah, the website is cool, the store looks like a good one, and it's clear he is into the vintage thang, which is always a good sign for a tech and engraver. So you'd say he is a straight-up fella to deal with ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks, Samu. Yeah, the website is cool, the store looks like a good one, and it's clear he is into the vintage thang, which is always a good sign for a tech and engraver. So you'd say he is a straight-up fella to deal with ?
Yeah, he's a good guy and down to Earth, he knows a lot and has experience. The only thing is that he's got so many rentals that depending on the time of year (usually start and end of school) he's swamped with work. He'd be glad to talk though, especially about engraving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,323 Posts
I think Sherry is doing occasional projects, and trying to hand the baton to other folks. I do artistic projects sometimes, design all of the artistic patterns for Eastman, and various other things here and there. I just don't have much time, otherwise I would do more.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Sherry did some custom engraving on my Yanagisawa alto around two years ago. Looks like I caught her just before retirement.
She matched the engraving style on the instrument and added an elephant with trunk in air in a beautiful frame.
It really does make my instrument look and feel extremely unique! I also had her engrave “bird lives” on it.
Her work is great and I am glad I had her do it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Sherry did some custom engraving on my Yanagisawa alto around two years ago. Looks like I caught her just before retirement.
She matched the engraving style on the instrument and added an elephant with trunk in air in a beautiful frame.
It really does make my instrument look and feel extremely unique! I also had her engrave “bird lives” on it.
Her work is great and I am glad I had her do it!
Pictures, please. That sounds wonderful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts