Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I read somewhere on this board that an old Florida Link 7* is probably closer to an 8 - is this an old wives tale or generally accepted? I have no means of measuring mine and actual size doesn't really matter because it plays very well for me but I was just curious,

Carl

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
It has been a widespread practice for some time to get a mouthpiece in a smaller tip and have it refaced or cleaned up to a slightly larger opening. This gave the refaces room to work with and still maintain most of the mouthpiece design. I have an 8 that is all original and dead on at .110 and I have another one that I received that was worked to about .114 - the one that was worked is my main piece and blows like a mutha. But that's beside the point.

As a point of production I think they mostly follow the guidelines laid out for the tip sizes. However, it is hand finished so there is always some room for error.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I guess there's really only one way to find out but I'm not that keen on spending lots of $$$ for a device.........

Carl

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have an original never refaced Florida STM 8* - I got it 1970 or so - it measures about .115 (measured using a caliper). The facing is quite short I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts