Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is a Boosey & Hawkes Edgeware clarinet a good learner?

Been helping out my son in getting a vintage tenor sax, and the SOTW members have been very helpful with advice and recommendations. This whole process has got me personally interested in taking up the clarinet (I'm not a horn player at all, I play guitar). We have an old Boosey & Hawkes Edgeware lying around. I made a few squawks with it and I'm wondering if I should have it fixed up by a tech or is it better to get something newer and better, like a Yamaha 250. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
True, it's not worth much even in playing condition, and is neither very modern nor very vintage. But I wouldn't call it a cheap student horn. I believe that the Edgware is actually a stencil of a Kohlert Bixley which, but for a high F# key, was apparently identical to the Regent, their top-shelf model at the time, and second only to the coveted Kohlert '57. They're usually very solidly built--better than the majority of current student horns, I'd wager.

I have a B&H Oxford alto, which is the Canadian version of the Edgware, and I regularly gig with it. It's more reliable than my Zephyr, less precious than my sweet Martin, and more focused than either, which makes it a great horn for rock or R&B. Plus I don't really care if it gets dented or stolen, since I can always find a cheap replacement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
If it is in good shape, it is probably fine. That said, it may not be worth putting a lot of money into it. If you have a good tech around, take it in and see how much it would cost to get it into decent playing condition. Then you have an idea of whether it would be cheaper to fix it up or buy a decent used horn that is already in good playing condition. I haven't checked student clarinet prices for a while, but I'm guessing the cutoff would be somewhere around $180-200 or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is in good shape, it is probably fine. That said, it may not be worth putting a lot of money into it. If you have a good tech around, take it in and see how much it would cost to get it into decent playing condition. Then you have an idea of whether it would be cheaper to fix it up or buy a decent used horn that is already in good playing condition. I haven't checked student clarinet prices for a while, but I'm guessing the cutoff would be somewhere around $180-200 or so.
Yes, agree. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts