Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there is a guy selling a 1941 king zephyr (serial: 257xxx) and i cant find enough info about the horn. Is the horn a good jazz and does it have a good tone? What is the value of the horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
They're good horns. Value is dependent on condition and how much you're willing to pay.
As for being a good 'jazz' horn... Are you a good jazz player?
If you are, then it will be a good jazz horn.
Do you have good tone? If you do, then the horn will have good tone.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're good horns. Value is dependent on condition and how much you're willing to pay.
As for being a good 'jazz' horn... Are you a good jazz player?
If you are, then it will be a good jazz horn.
Do you have good tone? If you do, then the horn will have good tone.
Well i wanna know if he is asking the right price for it. The bari is silver if that changes anything. Anyone have any info?

Edit: He's asking 2400 for it btw

·
19,221 Posts
Without knowing if the horn is in perfect condition, or beat up beyond repair, it really doesn't matter if it's silver or not.
How can anyone give you a value of an instrument that they can't see.
The question is, do YOU think it's worth the $2400. According to the seller that's rhe 'right' price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
At the time it was made, that was King's pro line. It having silver plate is a good sign for originality of finish as well, and as such, generally have higher value than their lacquered vintage counterparts. Still... $2,400 is kinda steep for such an old bari that's has no low A. If it's in playing shape, maybe a grand tops. Some may value it higher, but that's the limit that I'd put on it considering what else $2,400 could buy you in a used bari.

·
19,221 Posts
Thank you Grumps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Well i wanna know if he is asking the right price for it. The bari is silver if that changes anything. Anyone have any info?

Don't do it. The altos and tenors are better. For $2400 you can get a Conn 12M or Chu baritone which is an instrument capable of handling anything, modern or trad. Many top pro baritone players use the Conn. Nobody plays a Zephyr baritone. I'm sure the King has a great sound but the scale is probably funky.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
Well, price might not be (it is a matter of local factors, in my country I would consider this rather cheap if it was in good conditions ) to your liking and it is certainly true that 12M's are way more popular than Zephyrs....... but I am sure that there are people who play professionally zephyr baritones!

Sometime ago a member here (I am not sure where he was from nor I remember his name I am afraid ) was touring with his big band in the Netherlands , his Zephyr had been damaged in transit by the airline and he was in need of a replacement. He asked for a recommendation of a shop around Amsterdam and I gave him one. When he arrived here he took a taxi to the shop (an expensive ride!) and he told me (and I was told by the shop) that he was pleased to have found a replacement for his Zephyr there. He paid , I am sure knowing the shop, considerably more than 2400$ (more than likely it was in the region of 2750€ !!!) for it and was happy to go away with a " new" horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
I had one and it was pretty good. Seems a bit high as I just took in a gold plated Buescher for about $1,650 and it only needed a small amount of work. A lot depends on if it was a private player's horn or a school horn.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the double octave key mechanism is tricky to regulate/work on

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
A lot depends on if it was a private player's horn or a school horn.
The price seems on the high side unless as noted above, it's in top condition and/or pro owned. This serial # may be before they had a front "F" so that might also be a consideration.

Palm keys on these can be wonky...they're sensitive to key heights. Key touches are smallish on earlier horns and that can take some getting used to, especially when switching between horns. (not sure when they got larger) Also, the lack of a pants guard on low "C" can be problematic, depending on the player's stance, etc

In my experience, the neck is the biggest problem for King (maybe all?) baris. If it looks even slightly pulled down, I'd discount the price or just stay away.

Like most Kings, the good ones are very resonant and have a fair amount of edge. I have a 179,XXX and a 477,XXX which are similar in tone and both pro horns. The later is a bit..."sweeter" ala Conn 12M.

They blow with less resistance and that may have a something to do with who plays them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Well, price might not be (it is a matter of local factors, in my country I would consider this rather cheap if it was in good conditions ) to your liking and it is certainly true that 12M's are way more popular than Zephyrs....... but I am sure that there are people who play professionally zephyr baritones!
Not in the US. As BarrySachs points out, any vintage sax is less expensive over here, and there are horns that "nobody plays."

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried a Zephyr bari out recently, and it had by far the most awkward keywork
Likewise, although I have no basis for comparison with anything other than a modern bari, but for me, close to unworkable. The guy was asking the equivalent of about $1400 for it in the UK and it looked as if it was an acid-bath victim.

·
38,888 Posts
Not in the US. As BarrySachs points out, any vintage sax is less expensive over here, and there are horns that "nobody plays."
As I said very often price is something relative to a number of factors ....... we have horns that nobody plays here too and they are sought after elsewhere , go figure why........anyway I've checked the shop in question still has another (probably newer ) Zephyr on offer for even more than 2750€ ........

·
38,888 Posts
you did very well.....

·
Banned
864 Posts
Nobody plays a Zephyr baritone.
Yeah, that's why they're a best-kept secret; and since Steve Berlin of Los Lobos plays a Super 20 bari--which is very similar to a Zephyr--I think you could do worse.

And yes, the above quote cannot be said for the tenors and altos, as one of the best jazz alto players in the world, Jesse Davis, plays a Zephyr Special:

Last but not least, my 354,xxx Zephyr tenor has a superb scale...better in fact than a 280xxx Series I Buescher Aristo I used to own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts