Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I got a buyer lined up for my 1966 Mark VI alto I'm not really sure how much it's worth but the buyer is willing to pay 5k. Anyone know if this is a fair price?

I know that some consider the "medium bows" very deseriable but not sure if this is one. The serial number is 1367xx.

The lacquer is original and in good condition. Plays up and down, needs some fine tuning and maybe a couple of pads replaced. Photo below.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Wind instrument Reed

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,445 Posts
I think people get a little carried away with value of Mark VI sometimes , to me $5000 is VERY good money for a private person selling a Mark VI alto post 100,000 SN.

a few years ago I sold 2 much later ones for €3300 and it took me 3 years to sell!

Important is to remember that the value of anything is not set in stone. Is what people are prepared to pay.
$5000 is very good, and as others have said, you may ask $500 more and have to wait until you find that one person who may or may not buy.

This horn is hardly the pristine closet horn that would excite Japanese buyers into a buying frenzy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Investment strategy axiom:
Pigs get fatter, hogs get slaughtered.

That being said...post-100,000 MkVI altos can be highly desirable...those made in '66-'67 are thought by many to sing as well as any ever made...the med bow (& what appears to be a lack of high F#) doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here in the U.K.ive seen many mk.6 saxes up for sale for many months because they must be over priced but the sellers wont compromise .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seller offers sax for stated price.

Buyer wants sax, agrees to stated price.

Seller says naah, not gonna sell it to ya, maybe I can get more from somebody else. Lemme just duck behind the curtain here & ask my buddies what I shoulda priced it at.
I own this saxophone due to unforutante circumstances so I'm not really sure what
Seller offers sax for stated price.

Buyer wants sax, agrees to stated price.

Seller says naah, not gonna sell it to ya, maybe I can get more from somebody else. Lemme just duck behind the curtain here & ask my buddies what I shoulda priced it at.
It was just an offer and I'm not really sure what it's worth. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off, was my uncle's sax and idk much about it.

·
41,445 Posts
Here in the U.K.ive seen many mk.6 saxes up for sale for many months because they must be over priced but the sellers wont compromise .
Well, if everybody keeps on touting the name mark VI as being the as good as gold an investment

·
Registered
207 Posts
I see a lot of mark vi's on craigslist and other more reputable websites for around 5k. I ALSO often see some repair shops trying to get 10k+ for mark vi's with various states of lacquer. I don't know if anyone is actually paying 10k, or maybe the owner is just dreaming.... At any rate, in my opinion, 5k is a good price as a seller. Especially if you don't have any intention of using it yourself. It's true maybe you could get more, but who knows how long you'd have to wait for a buyer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,189 Posts
It's an alto. Only the tenors go for crazy money. Five grand is a fair offer in the States for a private sale of such a horn. Could you get more? Maybe. But as you're not a dealer, it's not likely. Sure, you could put the horn on consignment, but then it'll sit for months in a dealer's shop and their cut will probably end up not making it worthwhile for you in the end. You could also take a gamble letting it go on ebay, but that rarely goes well for the uninitiated. So you have to ask yourself, do you want to risk losing a sale by making an unreasonable counter-demand, or do you just want to let go of it and move on.

·
41,445 Posts
I know people out there that know nothing about any saxophones but know the brand Selmer and the model VI, this is what internet does, often creates unrealistic expectation.

I have a Russian Mechanical toy for sale.

I gave one the same one to a friend of mine who got €100 for it on ebay. Someone on Ebay is asking $350.

Today I got an offer for €50.... so, what is this thing worth? :unsure:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,269 Posts
I know people out there that know nothing about any saxophones but know the brand Selmer and the model VI, this is what internet does, often creates unrealistic expectation.

I have a Russian Mechanical toy for sale.

I gave one the same one to a friend of mine who got €100 for it on ebay. Someone on Ebay is asking $350.

Today I got an offer for €50.... so, what is this thing worth? :unsure:

View attachment 104148
If you pay the shipping to the US, I'll give you five bucks ($5) for it!

·
41,445 Posts
how generous ;) I couldn’t accept such a generosity

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,603 Posts
Hi all,

I got a buyer lined up for my 1966 Mark VI alto within 12 hours of posting it and now im wondering if I priced it too low. I'm not really sure how much it's worth but the buyer is willing to pay 5k. Anyone know if this is a fair price?
Yes, it is a fair price - generous, in fact. I doubt that you could sell it for as much without considerably more work.

·
41,445 Posts
will they get it?

·
41,445 Posts
it was a rhetorical question ;)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,636 Posts
It was just an offer and I'm not really sure what it's worth. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off, was my uncle's sax and idk much about it.
If you get $5k for it, no you won't be getting ripped off! In fact that's a very good price to get for an alto; if I was selling it and someone offered $5k, I'd take it in a hot minute.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts