Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting college pretty soon and it's about time I own my horn. I tried a Mark VII that was a bit banged up but still playable and going for $3000. The key work was a bit different but I'm sure I'll get used to it after a little bit. There are slight scratches and fading from normal wear and tear and I didn't see any dents. I definitely liked the tone and the lower register was just beautiful in my opinion. I used to use a Selmer La Voix II in high school and I'm either gonna go for a Yamaha Custom Z or this Selmer Mark VII. I really wanted to make sure that I wasn't being ripped off because this is gonna put me in debt for a while. I'm not upgrading and i want this horn to be with me for the rest of my musical career. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm starting college pretty soon and it's about time I own my horn. I tried a Mark VII that was a bit banged up but still playable and going for $3000. The key work was a bit different but I'm sure I'll get used to it after a little bit. There are slight scratches and fading from normal wear and tear and I didn't see any dents. I definitely liked the tone and the lower register was just beautiful in my opinion. I used to use a Selmer La Voix II in high school and I'm either gonna go for a Yamaha Custom Z or this Selmer Mark VII. I really wanted to make sure that I wasn't being ripped off because this is gonna put me in debt for a while. I'm not upgrading and i want this horn to be with me for the rest of my musical career. Any thoughts?
don't worry, you'll want other horns over time as well. it is part of growing and maturing as a player and a person...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I can't speak for dogster, but a lot of people go into trying a Mark VII thinking it'll be like a Mark VI, or with the sound and feel of the Mark VI already established for them as ideal, or, as Selmer advertised it, I believe, expecting the VII to be an improvement on the VI. It's a totally different horn with a different sound, and I think if you're looking for a VI or if the VI is your ideal horn, you're probably not gonna dig the VII.

However, as we can see on these forums, there are different strokes for different folks, so you may very much like the VII!

PS, the Z is a great horn that will probably (if you get it used) keep value better than the VII since I think there's kind of a stigma against that Selmer. There are other options, though, man! Try some Kings, some Martins, some of the Taiwanese horns, etc. Don't be hasty. The last thing you want is to go into debt for this horn that will be your "last" horn and then try your buddy's cheaper model that blows your horn's doors off. Try EVERYTHING, and don't be afraid to measure your search in years instead of months. That's how you will KNOW you're getting the perfect horn for your chops, concept and budget and at a good price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna shop around a bit more, I just didn't want to make the dumb move of ignoring a bargain and coming back too late. I was also wondering, there's a lot of talk about serial numbers when it comes to Selmer's, and I'm not really sure what those are and why they're so significant.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Sounds steep. I have seen them in supposedly good playing condition on craigslist here for $1800-2500. Tenors.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
On eBay, the price for the Mark VII (7) tenors varies quite a bit. I've seen them sell as cheap as $1700 USD and as high as nearly $3000 USD. I believe most sell in the low to mid $2K range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
$3000.00 is high. $1800 - $2500, based on condition. Maybe a little more for a pristine example. As said above, they do play differently than the VI and have different "ergos", but that doesn't make them a bad horn at all. Some can be great horns. They tend to a centered dark tone that can be mighty powerful in the hands of the right player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,912 Posts
No......

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They are paying you $3k to take it off their hands? Sold!

Oh wait.....you are going to pay that much? Forget it. There are plenty of other horns you can get for that or less

·
Registered
268 Posts
A VII is a totally solid professional horn,but 3k is a little high. I've played a lot of them and found them to be pretty consistent, so you can probably find one that plays just as well for cheaper. They have a little fatter bottom end and edgier highs than a VI. Great for rock and fusion and definitely dark enough for jazz and classical. Excellent intonation also. Only real downside is the key layout and neck angle. Definitely not the most comfortable horn I've ever played. If you want to see one in action, here's a set that my band did at the Kennedy Center in DC- http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/videos/?id=M4672 There's about 6 minutes of intro so just skip to somewhere in the middle:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
there is not one " fair price" around the world, what is true in the States might not be true in Brazil ( where, we've learned from another post, there is a duty of 300% on import duties so prices of certain items , even local, tend to be high) so you need to do your homework and see what they sell were you are.

Here , in Holland and in General in Europe, the price of a Mark VII varies quite a bit but I would say that , on average, they are around the 2000€ mark (just a bit more than your 3000$) , but I've seen them sell for more if they are in a good playing state and have engraving (which is rather rare on the Mark VII).

I like the mark VII, I have personally owned 3 and held on to them for some time, especially the last one (still with me but bought from a friend in Austria) was a very good player.......in many respects not dissimilar to my Super 20 (Eastlake, I like underdogs!).

I don't mind the ergonomics but I have rather big hands and you soon get used to the left hand table which is what most people complain about the VII. I still prefer my Super 20 (with its much smaller LH table) but soundwise I could definitely have kept the last VII that I have got.

............ If you want to see one in action, here's a set that my band did at the Kennedy Center in DC- http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/videos/?id=M4672 There's about 6 minutes of intro so just skip to somewhere in the middle:)
nice piece of great energetic action, you must be the type of big player that this horn creators had in mind when they thought of it.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'm gonna shop around a bit more, I just didn't want to make the dumb move of ignoring a bargain and coming back too late. I was also wondering, there's a lot of talk about serial numbers when it comes to Selmer's, and I'm not really sure what those are and why they're so significant.
You can almost forget the serial numbers when it pertains to a Mark VII.

There are preferable numbers concerning the VII. I believe the ones that start with M.

But usually serial numbers talk pertains to the Mark VI. And that's way over your head.

You can get a modern Selmer (used Serie II or III for around $2500 ).

I would look at those first. You may even find a new Serie II for a little over $3000 if it's old stock and they are ready to deal. And for $3000 you are approaching a used Reference 36 which is Selmer's top of the line.

But you can certainly get a used pristine Serie II or III for way less than $3000. The horn will be in excellent condition.

That's way too much for a Mark VII.

Now I don't recommend you get into the Mark VI quest. That's for players that know exactly what they want.

You could spend a whole lot of money looking for VI's and if you are not savvy you still may not end up with the horn you want.

So to answer your question directly as for $3000 being a fair price for a banged up Mark VII. No.

·
Registered
127 Posts
there is not one " fair price" around the world, what is true in the States might not be true in Brazil ( where, we've learned from another post, there is a duty of 300% on import duties so prices of certain items , even local, tend to be high) so you need to do your homework and see what they sell were you are.

Here , in Holland and in General in Europe, the price of a Mark VII varies quite a bit but I would say that , on average, they are around the 2000€ mark (just a bit more than your 3000$) , but I've seen them sell for more if they are in a good playing state and have engraving (which is rather rare on the Mark VII).

I like the mark VII, I have personally owned 3 and held on to them for some time, especially the last one (still with me but bought from a friend in Austria) was a very good player.......in many respects not dissimilar to my Super 20 (Eastlake, I like underdogs!).

I don't mind the ergonomics but I have rather big hands and you soon get used to the left hand table which is what most people complain about the VII. I still prefer my Super 20 (with its much smaller LH table) but soundwise I could definitely have kept the last VII that I have got.

nice piece of great energetic action, you must be the type of big player that this horn creators had in mind when they thought of it.
I travel to South America on business and hand carry a bass almost every time I go for a friend down there. He ships what he wants ot my house, I drop it in country (or the one next door), and save him around $1000US+ in shipping and duties each time So long as it is used, and I hand carry, no customs hassles. But if I put it thru as luggage, they hassle th crap out of me. go figure....

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
my point was simply that price might be affected by a number of things. The post I was referring to was of a Brazilian member who was prepared to buy a Jupiter made Vito for a much higher price than elsewhere would be acceptable.

By the way if you go to Brazil you might buy a Lopes Low G bass for about half the price these things are sold on internet!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts