Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the ireal book app is now "ireal b", due to copyright issues. I haven't dared to update it, has anyone? The new version do not have the realbook songs, and it claims to not erase for existing customers. This has been an invaluable tool for me and don't want to risk losing those songs! In any case, i'm going to backup all the songs in case my iphone blows. :cry:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whew, just found out that a fresh ireal b install will not have the songs, but you can take the extra step to download the jazz 1200 song pack from the forum, along with other songs. i just backed up my playlists. it will be fine to update.
the ireal book app have the chord notations with audio backing tracks; like band in a box. it's one of the most useful practice tools.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
It's settled law that you can't copyright chord progressions -- which is why jazz musicians have concocted various contrafacts over well-known progressions over the years, to avoid paying royalties.

But: if some big music company can persuade Apple -- maybe a big company that also has music download arrangements with them -- that it maybe is NOT settled law, Apple had COMPLETE control over their apps ecosystem, and can pretty much do whatever they want with this or that app.

AND if the folks at iRealBook don't have the kinds of Big Bucks it'd require to take some big music company to court to prove they're being wronged, you get ... what apparently has just happened to iRealBook.

The good news is that with one extra step you can get all the tunes and whatnot from the forum at their web site. The bad news is that it still sucks. But at least, for now, iRealBook, or whatever it's now called, lives -- and it's a great app!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't think i'll update mine. but what a useful app!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have updated with glee and gusto.
There are some new features - addtional export features
I confirm - I did not lose my existing library. all my playlists remained.
All my edited files remained.

In fact the app appears a little faster to load.
I recommend updating the App on your iphone.

FWIW - Iphone 4.

If the real book people think that their actions and success will cause more people to buy their hard copies, it's a wrong bet.
Fact is - there are more photo copies of their lead sheets out there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Ive been keeping mine updated and havent lost anything.

I think the issue is with song titles with chord progressions...the chord progressions themselves have no copyrights.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have updated mine and downloaded the new library from the Forum, no problems whatsoever. I think its a great Ap. Well worth the small amount of money it costs to buy. I have done a small review on my website.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,334 Posts
Can someone walk me through how to download the songs after i get the app?
Its says there are over 1000 songs on the forums you can download.

Thanks.

If you'd rather email me directly , i'm at: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Can someone walk me through how to download the songs after i get the app?
Its says there are over 1000 songs on the forums you can download.

Thanks.

If you'd rather email me directly , i'm at: [email protected]
Hi 10mfan. after you get the app look at the bottom right on your phone where it says settings.

Tap on settings and scroll down to where it says forums.

Now you have to register and get a username and password when you join.

After you have registered you will see the categories and Jazz should be the first one .

You may see a link that says jazz 1200. Click on that link. Your phone will add the 1200.

You can add additional songs from users. Simply tap on the songs you like and your phone will ask you if you want to add the song .

That's how it works with an iPhone.

If you get confused post again and I'll check back soon.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Ive been keeping mine updated and havent lost anything.

I think the issue is with song titles, not so much chord progressions...
According to Massimo the issue was chord progressions which cannot be copy copyrighted.

He did not want the app to get tied up in court and be unusable for maybe years.

He knew he would win but everyone would lose the app for a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Or, from your home computer, go directly here and click on Jazz 1200 in the first post.

I can confirm that the update not only retained everything that I had, but also made it possible to add all of these tunes. The editor is also handy, as you can create sheets for tunes that are not already in the collection.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Anybody remember way back when. Fake books, Cheat sheets, Combo orchs etc were sole in music stores under the table for big buck because they were illegal? I knew a few guys who had cheat books that were 3" thick. Those books were really expensive, too.

Now there are a lot of legal fake books, and - there's Wikifonia which gets around copyright by musicians uploading tunes to the site anyone can download them. And, there's a function whereby you can change keys by a press of a button. Pretty cool site.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,897 Posts
I updated my iRealbook and the tunes were all there. I'm finding it really useful for practice. Is there a way to have it change keys of the audio playback? I wind up having to play tunes in non-standard keys to accomodate vocalists and would love to be able to do that on iRealbook. I used to do it on BIAB but my version won't work on Windows 7 and I haven't gotten around to buying a later version of BIAB.

And yeah, I got my first Real Book from someone who "knew a guy".

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.