Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't really dug through the app store, but was wondering if anyone knows if there is a good app for writing music? Not like Garage Band where can put songs together, but more like there would be staff paper and it would allow you to actually WRITE sheet music.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use Symphony Pro for the iPad. It does an OK job and lets me export to XML. That way I can open it in Finale to finish it off.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Found it, but it's only for reading scores. Not for writing them, as far as I can see.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone else finds anything, please update this thread. Appreciate it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
You can write from scratch on PC version. Thought iOS was the same. Later, Ray
iOS is for portable Apple devices, in case you didn't know.

In any case, I think it will be a while before we see a complete high quality notation app for the iPad; one that includes drawing notes on the screen and converting those handwritten notes to both graphics and MIDI. If it would exist I'd buy it (and the iPad) in an instance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
I use Symphony Pro for the iPad. It does an OK job and lets me export to XML. That way I can open it in Finale to finish it off.
so is this the only one as of 10/11/11?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
So I got Symphony Pro for $15 and I'm feeling a little ripped off.
For me at least the program is not very intuitive. When I try to follow the directions often nothing happens (like the three finger playback).
I've spent a few hours with it and I don't have much to show for it. Is anybody else having trouble with it?
It also crashes on occasion.

My research is pointing at Notion as a better app $15.
They seem to be a bigger company with more programing muscle.

compare the videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6V_XQXrbBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTFn-0QqQGo
If there is a better one for SP please share it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm late on this, holyday time.... I have iWriteMusic. Very convenient, you write your scores, many staffs available. Affordable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts