Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has updated to a New Ipad so I get the old one. It's a 2nd Gen Ipad and I need a practical case and stand holder case. Something that will easily work on a gig.

One more thing - I want to be sure the Ipad IN the case will fit on the Stand Holder so I don't have to keep taking the Ipad in and out of a case.

Thanks

·
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There a 4th Gen on Craigslist for cheap - Should I go that route?

·
Registered
718 Posts
There a 4th Gen on Craigslist for cheap - Should I go that route?
yes. Retina display is much easier on the eyes, much faster processor. Same charger port (lightening)as your wife’s, so you can share chargers. Ipad 2 is not compatible with 1os 10, 11, or 12 (the current one). And the age of the older iPad 2 may mean an older battery with diminished reserve capacity.

·
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I use an iPad Air which i think is considered a 4th generation tablet and it works fine for what I use it for. Most of the folks I play with in the funk band and jazz combos have iPad 2's. These are fine if all you want to do with them is upload charts and read music off of them using ForScore or some pdf reader. Even the older ones seem to run fine for 5+ hours on a full charge. While the new pads will be faster, a bit lighter, and have a few other bells & whistles I'd begin with what you have and see how it works for you.

Cases - most of the guys are using something like this Otter Box - https://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-Packaging-77-18640-compatible/dp/B008UQ7TRS

I'm using leatherette cases by Finite for both my iPad and Samsung tablets. I prefer them for look, feel, size and weight. The Otter Box cases IMO are overpriced and despite the marketing really do little to protect the tablet though there are other brands out there that are cheaper. Now that your iPad is 10 years old you can get NOS cases or lightly used cases very cheaply for it.

Stands - most of us are using some variation of this folding mic stand; https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MS7700...3278&sr=8-3&keywords=folding+microphone+stand

There are also all sorts of clamp-on extenders if you just want something that will attach to the mic stand you're already using. I have one of these as well; https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MSA802...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R8DBFZMJ3ECB2VXP8RTH

though I haven't used it much.

Pad Holders - there are several different companies that make these. I've been using the K&M 19742 Universal ; https://www.amazon.com/Stands-19742...d=1540913538&sr=1-1&keywords=K&M+tablet+mount

which I like because it is adjustable enough to handle many different size tablets and built with a bit better quality than many of the others that cost less. I use this with my Samsung in the case which is about 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 and my iPad at 7 X 9 1/2 and it works fine. Frankly, for rehearsals I still prefer just a plain old music stand that gives me space for other stuff but for gigs the tablet stands are far less intrusive.

Going from paper to using a tablet requires more adjustment than just about any other change I've made, even switching horns. There are a pile of little things that come up that you need to get used to like; what app are you going to use for reading music, how do you manage page turns, how do you do notation, do you want some sort of indexing for things like fake books or are you going to just bookmark everything, what kind of support do you want for uploading/downloading charts, how do you do backups and where do they live, etc... In the end it's definitely worth all the effort but it takes some trial and error to figure out what your preferences are and how to make all the pieces fit together best for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@KeithL Very useful post, thanks!

So regarding your last para: could you tell us, just as a starting point, what do you prefer?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
@KeithL Very useful post, thanks!

So regarding your last para: could you tell us, just as a starting point, what do you prefer?
The 3 bands I'm with all use Dropbox as a repository for charts though the jazz combo mostly uses fake books as well. For reading charts on Android I like MobileSheets though it did at one time presently it doesn't have support for downloading from Dropbox directly which is a bit of a pain. I use this and my Samsung tablet for funk band gigs in scroll mode which works really well for me.

For jazz combo gigs I use the iPad and an app called iGigBook which is basically an indexing app that lets you upload fake/real books and have them indexed so you can find tunes very quickly. It took a bit of time to set this all up correctly because I had to edit the fake book .pdf files I had by adding and deleting pages so they would line up with the indexes. It takes a bit of fussing around but is worth it in the long run. What I don't like about iGigBook is the guy who wrote it and supports it is an a$$hat. When I come across something that works as well and won't be too hard to switch over to I plan to do that. Page turns in iGigBook are also a PITA.

I also use the iPad as a backup for funk band gigs and occasionally let subs use it using ForScore which I think is probably the best written and supported music display app I've come across. It's well written, well maintained, and very flexible. At $10 it does far more well than anybody has a right to expect - simply a great app that you are pretty much stealing at that price. ForScore pulls stuff in straight from Dropbox making it ideal if you need to get at something on the fly.

I also use iReal Pro for practicing. I plug the headphone output into my Klipsch computer speakers; https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers?model=promedia-2-1-bt

bring up the tune I want to shed in iGigBook bring up the associated play-along in iReal pro and off I go.

This all works pretty well for me - other folks use the tools differently and have different preferences. I rarely do much notation on my charts though ForScore and MobileSheets both had pretty good editing capabilities if you want to take the time to learn to use them. I also don't presently use a Bluetooth page turner but I'm thinking about getting one of those to make my life easier on combo gigs. The scroll mode in MobileSheets and 1/2 page turn in ForScore make getting around the funk charts fine but iGigbook isn't as accommodating.

I hope that helps. You really just need to jump into it and find out what works for you. Once you get thing setup it will likely require little more than the occasional tweak and not carrying around binders full of charts is a big plus. I have yet to come across someone who hasn't eventually come around to using a tablet once they've put the time into setting it up. Even the old crusty Luddites I play with have embraced the convenience though begrudgingly at first.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have an iPad 2. Also newer iPads, and an iPad Pro. The 2 is really slow and the battery doesn't hold a charge for even half as long as the newer ones, batteries degrade over time. Also I can't update the OS past 9.3.6 (current version is 12.1), possible security flaws that won't get patched.

I can use it as a music stand if I have local copies of the PDFs on the iPad and use an app like ForScore or UnRealBook. Otherwise it takes too long to load across a network, even a fairly fast wireless network. About the only thing it's good for these days is being 15 fakebooks locally loaded into UnRealBook, or used as a POS (Point of Sale, wise guys) system, which transmits only a small bit of data to post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts