Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my first big band gig and a severe lesson learned in organising charts properly before gigs , I wondered if anyone has used iPad for big band - gotta be so much easier just to flick through tunes ??

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Um, for single sheet things it works great. Multiple pages? You'd need one of those page turn things. But how can you have problems keeping the charts in order? Wasn't there a set list? Didn't you arrive BEFORE the gig to put the music in order? Or attend a rehearsal and do it?

I hardly think ONE lack of planning mistakes means you should go out and get an iPad. Not that iPads aren't life changing devices. They are. But.....You'd have to scan every thing, then convert them into PDFs, then put them in the iPad using something like GoodReader or ForScore (personal favorite since they updated it to 3.0), and then you'd have to get a page turning device......seems way more work than just having your **** together before the downbeat of a gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
You can turn the page with your finger.
Personally I find the size of the iPad just a tad too small for my ever worsening eyesight. If the thing were 8 1/2 x 11, I for one, would be a LOT happier.
Another possibility would be to buy the largest Kindle and do the PDF scan and import. Kindles have page turning buttons on either side of the screen (Kindle 3).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hardly think ONE lack of planning mistakes means you should go out and get an iPad.
Damn , there goes reason number one for the wife .

I actually did have a set list and all the relevant tunes in order in plastic sheets but each tune in one sheet . The drummer was relentless in his count ins after each number , which didn't always allow me enough time to slip out the tunes with more than one page - oh well a lesson learnt , it was my first time in this setting .

I still reckon a slide of the finger or a foot pedal is the way to go , I don't believe noone has tried this ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought the iPad 2 and ForScore, and use a desktop pc to scan. I realize now I gotta get a pdf editor, and then learn how to set up the scans so that they will be the correct "size", orientation, and dpi (whatever that means). I am not very computer saavy, but it is not so bad scanning into the pc. I have yet to try connecting to the iPad and inputing around 200 charts into the iPad. If it works, I will then get the foot-actuated page turner. If it doesn't, I will continue to use the paper charts as before, without worry. It's just an idea to try. I find that I can see the iPad just as well as with the paper charts. I will probably use a little velcro set up to keep the pad on the music stand. I have no idea if it will be worth the effort or not. Just something to try. I don't mind paper charts, but I have dumped charts onto the floor during rehearsals, and it is no fun picking them up. If any of you know how to edit pdf's for the best conditions to transfer them over to ForScore, please let me know. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts