Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Fist and third picture is the 42, second and fourth the core
Thanks for making and posting the pictures.

Interesting. The first eye catching details are the more pronounced roll over baffle at the tip
and the thinner rails towards the tip.

When I had a 42 (7 tip) the one thing that struck me was that it sounded fairly bright in the upper register.
Especially when pushing more air. Now I wonder how the darker sound relates to the more pronounced baffle.
The sound clips do not sound bright at all to me. Well, perhaps it was just me when playing the 42.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Interesting. The first eye catching details are the more pronounced roll over baffle at the tip
and the thinner rails towards the tip.

When I had a 42 (7 tip) the one thing that struck me was that it sounded fairly bright in the upper register.
Especially when pushing more air. Now I wonder how the darker sound relates to the more pronounced baffle.
The sound clips do not sound bright at all to me. Well, perhaps it was just me when playing the 42.
I always thought the higher the baffle the darker the sound, so I'm surprised if the Core sounds darker. I wish there was more information on this piece from people who have played it. I'm very curious and tempted, because I loved my Bunte 42, which was made a little darker for me at my request.

·
Premium Member
18,615 Posts
I agree. That's why I was surprised when poster said the Core had a more pronounced baffle than the 42, and yet sounded darker.
Leon, IMO it's the angle of the baffle area just behind the tip that determines a lot in how bright a piece can sound. A high but short roll-over baffle can sound brighter then a long sloping high baffle without roll-over area just behind the tip. I can play a high baffle Ponzol or Berg /0 darker then a Link if I want (it's also highly depending on the air speed you play with).

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,198 Posts
I agree. That's why I was surprised when poster said the Core had a more pronounced baffle than the 42, and yet sounded darker.
Leon,
I have the Core and Bridge here to review but haven't had any time to play them because of moving. I hope to get some time on them within the next few weeks and hopefully put up a review. Steve

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Leon,
I have the Core and Bridge here to review but haven't had any time to play them because of moving. I hope to get some time on them within the next few weeks and hopefully put up a review. Steve
I am looking forward to that.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Leon,
Good to know. I'll watch/listen for the reviews.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
I always thought the higher the baffle the darker the sound, so I'm surprised if the Core sounds darker.
I think you meant to say "higher the baffle the brighter the sound." Right?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,198 Posts
Posted another sax mouthpiece review for those of you interested in such things. This is the new Saxquest "The Core" hard rubber tenor saxophone mouthpiece. The guys at Saxquest and James Bunte did a great job coming up with this alternative to some of the vintage hard rubber mouthpiece out there. If you live near St. Louis stop by Saxquest to try these out yourself! You can read the details below as well as hear how the piece sounds for me.

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2016/03/saxquest-the-core-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece-review/

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. We've had a good time with the new mouthpiece venture and excited that people are enjoying them. The new Lead alto piece is also out and we'll be getting more info on it out as well. We'll also have a new bari mouthpiece out in about a month.

A couple quick things responding to threads above:

1. Recently, we've dropped all restocking fees for any Saxquest branded mouthpiece. So there's no restocking fee. Trials will only cost you the price of shipping if you decide to return it. Also, our normal restocking fee is 10%. Its never been 15%. We always allow for trials on all new, used and vintage mouthpieces.

2. I agree that shipping to Europe is expensive. The least expensive option for shipping with a tracking number and delivery confirmation is USPS Priority Mail Express International. Unfortunately, too many international customers in the past claimed they did not receive their items when shipped by cheaper non-tracking methods. Whether they did or not, I'll never know but its too much of a loss to not ship without a tracking number. Sadly, USPS rates have skyrocketed over the past 5 years. I remember when it was only $35 to ship international with a tracking number. Here's a link to their rates for a small package from Saxquest to Germany (other European countries are similar). https://ircalc.usps.com/MailService...=6&p=2&o=0&dpb=0&mdt=2016/03/30 12:00&dvi=250

Cheers,
Mark Overton
saxquest.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Here's Ben Reece, from Saxquest, on The Bridge tenor mpc:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.