Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so happy and excited to announce to you all that Saxquest has launched our own mouthpiece line. This project is the culmination of 25 years of experience with high-end vintage saxophone mouthpieces and embodies inculcation from the late great Paul "Doc" Tenney. It caps-off over 2 years of intense R&D and collaboration with one of the finest mouthpiece maker of our day, Eric Falcon, and a longtime association with saxophonist and mouthpiece refacer, James Bunte.

After going through countless prototypes, hours of play testing, consultation with so many great players I couldn't possible name them all and careful consideration over the past two years we're finally at that moment where its time to put these mouthpieces out there. The new models for tenor are "The Bridge" and "The Core". Our first alto piece "The Lead" is also now available.

"The Bridge" was designed as a straight ahead jazz tenor piece that's not shy on volume and projection. It incorporates design concepts derived from a monster Florida vintage slant sig that was tweaked and selected to meld with the blowing characteristics of a great Hollywood Dukoff. The result is an incredibly efficient piece that has an immense sound, wide dynamic range and huge fun factor.

"The Core" was designed by James Bunte. Its aptly named as its core sound is what sets this piece apart from all others. Moving slightly on the darker side of the sound spectrum from "The Bridge", it harbors all of the harmonic complexity of the best Great Neck vintage hard rubber Brilharts but with the ease of play and clear presence of a great Florida Vintage Super Tone Master. James personally faces each of these mouthpieces and takes them through an exhaustive play test regiment.

The trick with all of the Saxquest mouthpieces was to build in harmonic complexity while manipulating sound concepts such as brightness and darkness all the while maximizing the efficiency and keeping the resistance point to where it matches the chamber volume and gels with a variety of tip openings.

The "Bridge" and "The Lead" are manufactured in collaboration with the great mouthpiece maker, Eric Falcon. They are made from ultra-premium solid German bar stock hard rubber. They are turned on a CNC controlled high precision lathe and then milled on an absolute state of the art 5-axis vertical mill. Shaping of the throat, baffle & tip rail; profiling of the chamber; under-cutting of the side walls; and cutting of the window is all accomplished using three strokes per pass. This results in fabulously tight tolerances which leads to incredible consistency from piece to piece. All of these mouthpieces are then hand finished by Eric Falcon.

"The Core" is manufactured by JJ Babbitt in close collaboration with James Bunte. They are made using a specially designed mandrel and hand finished by James Bunte.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,330 Posts
Mark,
I hope you enjoy great success with the new mouthpieces.
Going with Eric Falcon was a fantastic choice. HE IS A PHENOMENAL TALENT!!!
I can attest to this first hand from what he has done with my mouthpiece line.
The craftsmanship, the hard rubber, the design help, etc...is second to none.
Every single piece will play perfectly. I look forward to trying the Bridge Mpc in the near future.
James is a friend, and I am happy to see The Core piece available for players too.

Keep up the great work and thanks for all you do for the saxophone community!
All the best, Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
Well, that has my attention.... If it's just as good as the TenorMadness EB copy, I would be interested in trying "the Core"....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hmm interesting.. These look great!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Is 'The Core' the same design as the 'Bunte 42' which was also based on the HR Brilharts and now out of production?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a "Bridge" #8 mouthpiece from Saxquest about a week ago and it's the real deal! Huge and rich sound with a large dynamic range, not to mention very free-blowing. I'm a college student, but I've tried out a fair amount of different mouthpieces ranging from vintage to mass-produced to hand made/faced, and this one hangs with the best of them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have ordered "the core" and I so own an 42
The 42 is soundwise in the middle. The core is maybe a bit darker sounding.
I will let you know. Will take a while until i receive it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,564 Posts
Are the chambers large med or small?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Great! I am very interested to read (or even better hear) about the differences and similarities between them.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I'm interested in knowing why you chose the Core over the Bridge. Listening to the clips on Saxquest, I much preferred the Core, but the demos were by different players, so perhaps not a good basis for comparison. I'm very curious as to how you like this piece since I "need" a HR mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Listening to the clips on Saxquest, I much preferred the Core, but the demos were by different players, so perhaps not a good basis for comparison.
Also different horns and probably different reeds. I also thought the Core demo sounded great, but I'm not sure what qualifies it as a mouthpiece demo rather than a player demo or horn demo. There's no baseline for the listeners.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thought so myself when I watched the clips. I compared the discription of both mouthpieces and the fact that James Bunte finishes the mouthpieces and the sound in the clip made me buy this mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Here's another clip of the James Bunte The Core tenor mpc , with big room natural reverb:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I received the new mouthpiece this weekend. Many thanks to saxquest for fast shipping. Shipping documents were prepared perfectly so German customs could pass it through very fast.
Only two weeks time fom ordering until i had it in my hands - that´s really fast!

I hadn´t much time to test it but I want to share my first impressions.
Side by side to the 42 both look much alike from the outside, although the core appears more valuable? (hope that is the correct expression).
Looking inside the differences are more significant. A high rollover baffle leading into a deeper and different chaped chamber and sidewalls. (will show some pics as soon as I have time)
The result is really nice. "The core" is as free blowing as "the 42" and more projection / louder.

Tonal colour: A bit darker than the 42 or Navarro Bahia but not as dark as a SuperToneMaster New York or Freddie Gregory Mark II

Intonation is really good! Very even throughout the lower and upper register.
Great job James Bunte!!

Hope this is a little help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
some pictures
"The 42" tipoperning 0.102
"The core" tipopening 0.112

"The core" is my favourite mouthpiece at the moment. A bit on the darker side, a bit more projection than "the 42". Freeblowing but needs more effort than the 42, maybe because of the larger tipopening.
Very reedfriendly. I tested about 6 or 7 different sots of reeds and all werk well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.