Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm in New Zealand and a bout of madness made me buy this Bari...
I don't know anything about it and hoping some enlightened people could help...
Is it something to spend money on to get playable, it is complete and no major dings, or should I mount it on the wall?
It cost me $470 NZ which is about $550ish USD
I just love the look of it, anyway had a Chinese Alto about 10 yrs ago and want to get back into jammin again, there's more to life than work...
If it's not a suitable fixup I'll get something more suitable...
Man these Bari's are big and there's not many in this part of the world...

Thanks for any input...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
you can play it in E, high pitch baris and a wedge chamber piece and BOOOM! you have yourself a instant rock and roll chops horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
High pitch is A=457. Low Pitch is A =440, which is the US standard,(Europe = 442). I'm afraid, unless you have a band that plays all High Pitch instruments (rare indeed), it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible, for you to play in tune with a group. If it were me, I wouldn't put any money into it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
As jicaino says, it could be useful for playing in sharp keys. I had a high pitch alto clarinet and it worked well as a clarinet in E

If that's any use, then it may be worth getting fixed up, but you will never be likely to recoup your investment as most people would run a mile from a high pitch instrument.

However it looks like it needs an overhaul.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Hi all, I'm in New Zealand and a bout of madness made me buy this Bari...
I don't know anything about it and hoping some enlightened people could help...
Is it something to spend money on to get playable, it is complete and no major dings, or should I mount it on the wall?
It cost me $470 NZ which is about $550ish USD
I just love the look of it, anyway had a Chinese Alto about 10 yrs ago and want to get back into jammin again, there's more to life than work...
If it's not a suitable fixup I'll get something more suitable...
Man these Bari's are big and there's not many in this part of the world...

Thanks for any input...
Sorry to have to tell you this, but you bought a High Pitch horn. Useful for wall art or as part of a private collection, but not particularly useful for playing with other people.

·
4,507 Posts
PS it would be VERY useful down here where most bandoneons (used for tango) are REALLY sharp. (I understand many if not most of them were high pitched)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
playing with other people is overrated... :twisted:
Makes me laugh. There was another thread here where I talked about having sax with other people for the first time in decades and it was suddenly controversial. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
and really ..............playing in a R&R guitar band (no piano) is a possibility, otherwise sell it to Juan to play tangos with bandoneons (do they tune pianos higher?)

·
4,507 Posts
and really ..............playing in a R&R guitar band (no piano) is a possibility, otherwise sell it to Juan to play tangos with bandoneons (do they tune pianos higher?)
Yes they tune pianos higher, but like "mid of the road" higher, so every instrument will sound bad with each other. Regarding tango I don't play tango... what can I say... [rolleyes]

·
38,799 Posts
to me buying any HP at any price is madness.........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nevillesax, you are quite right with the conversion. After I posted I realised I'd made a mistake...
To all others, thanks for your input, I understand what I have now...
It's an old, high pitch beast, which I see as a challenge to try and get playing a bit better than it does...
I won't be spending anything on it except time with cork, glue and soldering leaks around a couple of toneholes, It's surprising how many notes I can get out of 2 octaves...
If I decide at a later date that I want a more practial horn I'll just get one, but it will always be a vintage horn, I don't do new...
It'll make a nice piece of wall art anyhow...
Cheers...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
The only use I can see for a HP bari is for a school kid who has a good bari at school and needs a practice horn at home. Saves the trouble of lugging the beast around.

·
38,799 Posts
well, I have a guy with an antique shop who has been helping me buying the few HP mistakes that I have made until now. I too almost bought an Amati Toneking which was, the sweetest sounding bari that I have ever had in my hands..........besides this one only reaches Eb (not that it is very important in this case).

Of course, time and money is yours but , if I were you I would consign this horn to the world of decoration (there are always people interested who buy decoration horns) and invest into finding another one which will be more useful in as much as it can be played with other non HP or string instruments too.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
Wall art? Heck no! FLOOR LAMP. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts