Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can reeds and mouthpieces effect intonation?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Yes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Definitely maybe. The biggest factor in intonation problems is the player, not the equipment; however, there are issues that come up based on equipment. For example, many people have problems playing large chamber pieces with MK VI's or small chambered pieces with old Bueschers, or a radical change in your set-up---say going from a Selmer C* with a 3 1/2 Vandoren to a Berg 130/1 with a #2 Fibracell---could wreak havoc with your intonation and and a poorly set-up horn could be a problem as well, though that's not a part of your question.........daryl

·
Registered
391 Posts
Details man ... WE NEED details !!

Wonderful opinions not backed by valid reasonings leave somewhat to be desired !

W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
wmclean said:
Details man ... WE NEED details !!

Wonderful opinions not backed by valid reasonings leave somewhat to be desired !

W.
Huh? Like your post? ;^0

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks Wersax for your post. Re-reading my post, I realize it was a bit offside, though it was meant to be funny. In any case, the intention was to encourage the "Yes", the "No" and the "maybe" (you excepted) to leave us more details as to their thoughts ..

W.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,364 Posts
Reeds rarely, but I have known it happen when one particular reed I had made the horn way out. I thought I was going mad till I changed reeds - but that is a very rare occurance.

Mouthpieces can vary, but the problem mostly comes with trying to match some vintage instruments with modern mouthpieces. It could be high baffle or small chamber affecting things.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Mouthpieces: Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! The wide open, high baffled pieces can make your intonation go wild! Reeds: Sometimes- a reed that does not respond well can also affect tuning, as adjustments to make the sound better also affect intonation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts