Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from testing out an 82z black and a 62II with a G1 neck. I forgot to look at what neck the 82z had but it probably had the stock neck, which i think is G1?? Anyway, I just have some question on intonation.

First I tested the 82z:

Low g - perfectly in tune
up the octave - 10ish cents sharp

then octaves -
low Bb - 10ish cents flat
middle Bb - about perfect
high Bb - 10ish cents sharp

other notes -
middle D - (4th line:line4: ) - sharp (like over 20 cents), but the C below it is in tune
high F, octave above- :line5: - sharp when concert Bb's are in tune. Like 20cents or more

Question:

Are those intonation problems to be expected or is that too much?

Needless to say the 62II had better intonation.

Instead of 10ish cents it was either 5ish cents or perfect in all of the above mentioned areas, BUT (big but)

the D- :line4: - was still sharp, but still less sharp and the high F (octave above :line5: ) was still sharp, but still less sharp than the 82z.

Question:

Am I going to find this common with any horn I test?? I still have the 875EX to test and that's about it.

I especially dislike the D and the high F. On my tenor YAS-52 (intermediate horn) the D is even worse!! I have to open up the first (D) palm key to put it 20ish cents sharp. The High f though (octave above:line5: ) IS in tune though. So that's nice.

But that middle D is just a constant nag to me. always there. always sharp.

Is this common or will my prayers be answered with the 875EX??

MOUTHPIECE - Selmer S80 C*, Vandoren Traditional Blue Box 3 Reed

Thank you!!

p.s. when i test out horns i try to play along with a recording of the Creston Sonata by Londeix. I try to match his High F's and tone and vibrato. Is this a bad way to practice/test out horns. I know of the above mentioned horns neither of their High F's came close to his singing high F. thanks again.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I assume you have a good embouchere developed?

Well, either its the horn, the neck, or its you. The old stock G1 necks had a defect in them, where the intonation would be all over the place. But they were supposed to have fixed it 2 years ago I think.

Anyway, when I play tested the 62II and the 82z at my local music store, the intonation was perfect along the whole range of the horn. Even altissimo was in tune.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sometimes it's the adjustment too. Don't forget that if you're playing a horn that hasn't been looked at, there could be a leak that developed in shipping.

That being said, most Yamahas should have excellent intonation. The only thing that I've played which is better than a Yamaha at intonation are the Yanagisawas. FWIW, when I playtested the horns, I ended up buying a used Selmer which also had good intonation (but not like the Yanis) based on tone quality.

As for Middle D being sharp, hit the "B" key on the spatula. This should bring it much closer to in tune, but only rely on it for held notes. All of my band directors have sworn by this, and they're right (elementary, middle, high, and college).

High register notes are (usually) more sensitive to embouchure, at least in my experience. Keep that in mind when saying that only one note in the high register is sharp, unless of course it's perfectly in tune on all the other horns you play. Before I started making judgments on intonation, I made sure to try many horns on intonation first (which it sounds like you're doing).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kind of things are fixed during an adjustment. I've never really thought about having a saxophone personally adjusted. I usually just take it in and say "fix any leaks" and there usually aren't any. What other stuff gets changed?

I don't know if it's my embouchures fault that it wasn't in tune, but I can see that being a bit of the problem. I also think it could have been the horns because i know my embouchure isn't that bad and I payed very close attention to it throughout the testing process. When I go to the next shop I'll make even more sure of it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sing the note before you play it.

Try to imagine the note you're going to play before you play it.

Oh btw, how long have you played the sax?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sod9728 said:
Sing the note before you play it.

Try to imagine the note you're going to play before you play it.

Oh btw, how long have you played the sax?

11 years almost. The past 6 on tenor so that could be the reason why I'm asking questions like a beginnner. I just haven't seriously really touched an alto in a long time. In the past 2 years I played on and off in Jazz Band and orchestra but I haven't really sat down with one like I've been doing, because now I'm in the market to buy one.

I understand now what you mean by voicing. When I hear voicing, my composition side of the brain turns on and I couldn't translate it to saxophone technique.

Question about voicing: Being able to hear the note, is that just pyschologically how I'm supposed to fix intonation or something? I mean, if I sing the note, and then attempt to play it, if I have poor embouchure, in the end it won't be the same note I sang right?

Plus, I'm a horrible singer. And I definitely can't sing a high F.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Same here. But (hope I'm not spluttering nonsense here) it's as if my brain has a correlation with my mouth/embouchere.

What I mean, is that I try to imagine playing the note with the proper embouchere. I think of that as singing.

For example, if I think "low B flat", I'll end up fudging up the altissimo. But if I think "high G", it comes out.

And also, I doubt it's you if you've been playing for 11 years now.

It's probably the neck - might be an old stock G1.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sod9728 said:
Same here. But (hope I'm not spluttering nonsense here) it's as if my brain has a correlation with my mouth/embouchere.

What I mean, is that I try to imagine playing the note with the proper embouchere. I think of that as singing.

For example, if I think "low B flat", I'll end up fudging up the altissimo. But if I think "high G", it comes out.

And also, I doubt it's you if you've been playing for 11 years now.

It's probably the neck - might be an old stock G1.

Good! I'm glad someone doesn't doubt me haha. I have issues with self confidence every once and awhile. I just keep thinking, "I can't be that bad, can I?" haha.

Anyway. I'm going to USA Horn in Jersey because they are like an hour from my house. I'm going to test out ALL of they 62II's, 875's, 875EX, and I think (after reading about a recent "Title Fight" written by Saxoholic) I think I'll throw in the Yanagisawa A992 even though I have no prior experience with the horn.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Definitely try the Yanigisawa A992 and A991. A bit more money, but they're great horns too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I 2nd the neck theory. I tested an 82z a month or so ago and loved it but intonation was way off on the high end. I special ordered one from Yamaha and it is perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts