Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,347 Posts
That's actually the guy I was talking about. At this point I'm trying to decide whether a full overhaul is warranted, since I'll be in the market for a Reference 54 very soon.
If you are already commited to moving on, don't dump money on an overhaul. You won't recoup your money and the person buying it will likely have other preferences in setup choices.

James Houlik played a Superba tenor for many years so it must be possible to sort out the intonation "problems".

Why a Ref 54??? If you like the Superba sound, a Ref 54 is going to sound thin in comparison. Check out the Ref 36 if you must have a Selmer.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,347 Posts
The III is the brightest of the bunch - I played one for several years coming from a Balanced Action. Ref 54 is just another modern design taking a stab at the vintage wannabee market, Ref 36 actually makes an effort to get a more robust sound. It's still not a serious clone of the Balanced Action but it's a step in the correct direction.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.