Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning gents,

I picked up a 67 King Tempo off eBay a few months ago for the massive sum of $400. I love the horn, but it has terrible intonation in the upper register. A2 is incredibly sharp, and every note above that is relatively sharp (not as bad). My sax teacher has a Couf Superba I and has the same problem with his A2, though I'm not sure about notes above that. It also squeaks on G2 quite a bit. Any way I can resolve this? Wish me luck finding a repair guy, I haven' been able to find one in the Houston area that can even play a saxophone :evil:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,309 Posts
You don't have to be a "Player" to be a good tech. You only need to know how to fix what others break. :bluewink:

A little more info please...
Have you tried the King with several different mouthpieces?
Does the horn play in tune with itself?
Has your teacher tried the horn and gotten the same results?
Did you take it to a tech after purchase? Squeaks around G2 usually means you might have a bit of a leak around that area.

A2 is generally where the octave mechanism switches from the pip on the body to the one on the neck. Slight 'issues' in that area are not uncommon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt someone who can't even play an instrument can determine the cause of bad intonation. Once again, there are NO repair techs (that I know of) in Houston. I believe the switch to the different octave pip is related to the problem. The neck doesn't match the body (only off by 5 serial digits). The horn is kinda airy in the upper register. Switching mouthieces hasn't helped, though I don't have a huge collection, but I have a Metalite D9 coming in the mail. No one else has played the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,271 Posts
Find out who the sax teachers at the local college or university take their saxes to. There must be a decent sax tech in a city the size of Houston. Or ask a local professional player. Your horn may just have 'bad' intonation. Meaning it is possible to play in tune, but just too much bother.

Some saxes have better intonation than others… and some people can play a certain setup in tune that others can't. Everyone's mouth is different. I have had success tuning the sax with crescents. Search my older posts for info about this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I posted elsewhere and found out a good repair guy whom I will go check out when I get back in town

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I had an excellent experience at Fleming Instrument Repair when my Serie II bari was damaged en route to a series of concerts in TX. They did an excellent job, and tweaked some of our other member's horns (Oasis Quartet). Highly recommended--tell Ed (a saxophonist!) that I sent you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's actually the guy I was talking about. At this point I'm trying to decide whether a full overhaul is warranted, since I'll be in the market for a Reference 54 very soon.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There's a sax/trumpet player friend of mind named Jimmy Lingenfelter that does repair work for a living. We've played in big bands together and I'm sure he would do a great job. I'll send you a pm with his info.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
That's actually the guy I was talking about. At this point I'm trying to decide whether a full overhaul is warranted, since I'll be in the market for a Reference 54 very soon.
If you are already commited to moving on, don't dump money on an overhaul. You won't recoup your money and the person buying it will likely have other preferences in setup choices.

James Houlik played a Superba tenor for many years so it must be possible to sort out the intonation "problems".

Why a Ref 54??? If you like the Superba sound, a Ref 54 is going to sound thin in comparison. Check out the Ref 36 if you must have a Selmer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I got the chance to play a Mark VI and a Series III side by side, I put the Series III down after about 45 seconds and switched to the Mark VI. I loved it! You may be right about the 54, if it is anything lke the Series III in terms of sound or how it plays, it is not worth the money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
The III is the brightest of the bunch - I played one for several years coming from a Balanced Action. Ref 54 is just another modern design taking a stab at the vintage wannabee market, Ref 36 actually makes an effort to get a more robust sound. It's still not a serious clone of the Balanced Action but it's a step in the correct direction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would let everyone know that the issue turned out to be a wacky neck. Having tenor madness take care of it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
@superba, I know this a really old thread, but can you report what Tenor Madness found was going on with your neck? It might be insightful for someone.

From your signature, it looks like you stayed with the King Tempo. I am not sure whether you had the Superba II at the time you posted this. These are pretty similar horns aren’t they?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I bought the Superba II while the Tempo was being fixed. Thomas at Tenor Madness said the Tempo's neck was just defective. My teacher had the same problem with his Couf Superba I's neck, always having to bring down A2 as it was really sharp. I love the way the King plays, but the Couf is much nicer as far as keywork. Aside from that, they are identical. The King actually plays SIGNIFICANTLY better as of now, but the Couf may surpass it with an overhaul, as it is in poor shape as far as pads, etc.

Btw, I also bought at Conn 7M last year. I'm apparently a saxophone junkie.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I recall the taper was really off on their necks

·
Registered
853 Posts
If I recall the taper was really off on their necks
Thanks those are interesting reports. I'm sure it would take a really skilled technician/artist to get the repair right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts