Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really sharp A2 on my King Tempo (Couf II), anyone else have this problem as well? Notes above it are sharp as well just not as much. My instructor has a similar problem on his Superba I. Octave pip problem? Key height problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My mentor has a tempo bari and has never said anything about intonation issues but he was a king artist back in the day and has been playing the same horn for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The G pad cup that's controlled by the left hand ring finger may be too high. This key controls a lever that opens and closes the lower octave key. Just adding a bit of cork on that lever will lower the G cup and the pitch of the A and effect slightly the notes above A.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try and post a video tomorrow. The A2 sounds kind of whiny, almost like the pad is too low (?).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought. Should I open up the octave pip, and any idea how much?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
That's what I thought. Should I open up the octave pip, and any idea how much?
I think you would need trial and error, though my gut feeling is opening won't help.

If the problem goes away when you play those upper octave notes without the octave key, then this sort of points to that being the issue, so I would think opening the pip would make it worse, however I'm no expert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts