Sax on the Web Forum banner

intonation issue YAS62II

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SaxyAcoustician 
#1 ·
Just purchased a new YAS 62II found the middle C, B and A are a little flat about 25 Hz off the mark, compared with the rest of the notes in the lower register and with the octave they are all about 25 Hz sharp, this is with an electronic tuner. I did not have this problem with the 475 which had very accurate intonation. Could this be a fault with the instrument? Or is it that I need longer to get used to it?

#3 ·
Timbo said:
I did not have this problem with the 475 which had very accurate intonation. Could this be a fault with the instrument? Or is it that I need longer to get used to it?
I'm tempted to say that the difference may be caused by the neck. The neck that comes with the 62II is the G1. The 475 comes with the non-G1/original 62 neck. They're very different in design.

I wouldn't fault the instrument too much though. The first few years I had my 62II I played on the G1 neck that came with it. I didn't have a problem playing it in tune.

Remember: Intonation is determined by the player primarily, not the horn. Practice your voicing (how you focus the air into the horn). Voicing is the way to spot-on intonation and great sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.