Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I tried finding a quartet arrangement of Into the West (song at the end of Lord of the Rings - Return of the King) but couldn't find one.

I just finished taking a stab at arranging it. I love the song, but I'm not sure that reducing it to a sax quartet really worked.. plus I'm no arranger really.

The tough part was the fact that a very predominate part of the song is a guitar part that basically plays arpeggios throughout the song (and some chords).

Well, since I play guitar too, I went ahead and wrote out a guitar part (it's not exact, but gets the idea across). This way I can play the guitar part and we still have the solo and the two (very very boring) background parts (sorry bari and tenor! :p). I wrote the guitar part for Soprano as well so see how that sounds. I haven't played this with our quartet yet so I don't know how it'll sound, but I did upload an audio file of Finale playing the arrangement using those Garrison Personal orchestra thingies. (I don't have the sax ones, so I just used strings and a harp for the guitar part).

The link to the Finale audio is at http://www.scotthedrick.org/esax.htm. (click on Into the West to hear it)

If any real arranger type out there likes it and cares to improve it/etc, I'd LOVE to see it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We played thru this tonight in our sax quartet. What did not work was having the soprano play the transposed guitar part I wrote out. (i removed the soprano pdf attachment).

However, it sounded great with bari/tenor/alto(solo) and guitar. So, not really a true sax quartet arrangement exactly. Boring as hell for bari/tenor and probably not a crowd pleaser, but a beautiful song.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts