Sax on the Web Forum banner

Int'l Mouthpiece Cleaning Day

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
When was the last time you cleaned your mouthpiece(s)?
Today?
This week?
This month?
Some time in the last year? :lick::lick:

If it's been a while, do yourself a favor and clean out your mouthpiece!

#6 ·
What is, or are, the official cleaning product(s) of Int'l Mpc Cleaning Day?

Is a clinic being held anywhere? Will it be streamed live? YouTubed?

Is there an annual theme? Like "Our Friend Vinegar"? Or "Take This Swab and Shove It!"?

#8 ·
Wow. i ordered some cleaner from doctorsprod.com on musiciansfriend.com. i swear it said it wouldnt discolor but it turned my 69 Selmer alto mouthpiece sort of brown. it plays ok still. maybe its just for certain materials. well , i just thought id mention it. is the white suff on the mouthpiece just calcium? if so, maybe i should of just tried vinegar like a coffee pot.

So, it looks a little gross but has anyone noticed a sound difference? i still dont how to quantify some of the differences like light, dark, bright, and so forth. So, any comments?

#9 ·
Lukewarm vinegar should do the trick just fine.
Soak the mpc for a couple of minutes, clean with lukewarm clear water, swab it and all should be fine.

And while you're at it, do the same with the neck too after protecting the octave pad with a bit of wrapped clingfilm or something alike.

The white stuff would be a mix of calcium and dead skin cells and other tiny particles. Great base for healthy cultures - just like soap.

alljoe: I guess your mpc is made of rubber. The discoloration comes from a chemical reaction on the surface. Over time that will or can happen with the air too. A bit of gentle buffing should bring the shine back. There should be no negative effect past the optics if you leave the rails and tip alone and the table stays nice and flat so the reed seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.