Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know she isn't a saxophonist, but I recently was able to do an interview with Sheila Jordan. For those who don't know her, she was supremely influenced by bebop and Charlie Parker (even though she was a vocalist), studied with Lennie Tristano (and hung with Konitz and Marsh), and recorded with the likes of Kenny Barron, Steve Swallow, Tom Harrell, Frank Wess, etc.

She shares some really cool insight about her experiences and musical philosophy, would love to hear everybody's thoughts.

https://austinzhangmusic.com/2019/01/03/conversation-with-nea-jazz-master-sheila-jordan/

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,610 Posts
Wow, really great interview. Thanks for posting that. I totally enjoyed it. I enjoyed everything she said. One of the many things I really liked that she said:

"I hope that they have classes and encourage young musicians to go out there, fall on their faces, and take chances. Learning and doing, soloing and creating! I hope that’s what’s happening."

Anyway, I can tell she's a beautiful person with a true love of the music.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,113 Posts
I had completely forgotten about this incredible talented singer. What a story she has to tell. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, really great interview. Thanks for posting that. I totally enjoyed it. I enjoyed everything she said. One of the many things I really liked that she said:

"I hope that they have classes and encourage young musicians to go out there, fall on their faces, and take chances. Learning and doing, soloing and creating! I hope that’s what’s happening."

Anyway, I can tell she's a beautiful person with a true love of the music.
That was a highlight for me too:) glad you took something from it, definitely a true lover of the music!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts