Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing a lot since the mid-late 1980's.Still do a lot, during last year my tongue was getting progressively more sensitive. In the past( like ten years ago) I had the expereinece where when I began a gig my tongue would just recoil in pain & after a song or two it would be fine again, wew were doing like 9 gigs a week + prectice....anyway I learnt to articulaute very lightly over the years.....last year it slowly became sensitive even with the lightest articulation, it got worse & wrose, I began playing a bit of flute to avoid articulation.Stopped practicing & playing flute at home as well.It became so sore that even when I wasnt playing it hurt & looked red, even drinking a berr became very painfull. I thought I had ruined my tongue, this was the end of playing the sax for me I wondered.Still I had a lot of gigs booked & began to despair. I had a two week break during christmas & hoped that it would recover a bit, when the first weekend of gigs at the beginning on january came up, the friday before I had a ltlle blow at home and boom- huge pain-the break didnt help at all!! I really bgen to despair, thought about getting a sub for the gigs......my sister came around friday morning who is a naturalpath, I mentioned it to here & she asked if she could look at my tongue.It was very red at the tip. Straight away she said 'you have beri beri or what is a vitamin B deficiancy!' so I took an extra strength B complex-and within hours it was GONE!!! That weekend I played three gigs-no problem at all!!! So now I just take a B complex a couple of times a week & generally feel better as well. Just wanted to share that as at the time it became such a major issue in my life that I thought well I've had a good run, very sad to have to stop but coldnt see any way out.Untill my wondefull sister came over & spotted it immediaty.........

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. Glad to hear your all better :)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Cool! Glad you/your sister solved it.

[I love a happy ending!]
I have my viewing preferences set so I see the latest post first.

Reading title : intersting experience with my tongue
Jazzbluescat reply : Glad you/your sister solved it.

:shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Maybe one or the other is adopted. Don't judge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am so relieved, such a simple problem in retrospect. I might have actually given up if I didnt know. Probably should go to a doctor once in a while, still my sister knew right away so natural medicine is effective in some ways.......

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Where's Marty when you need him?

I also had visions of a very different thread when I clicked on this one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think you stop playing for a couple of years....and leave your horns out on the kerb.....(I know where you live)......(to be honest I was more concerned about not being able to drink beer !)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,299 Posts
Yes I am so relieved, such a simple problem in retrospect. I might have actually given up if I didnt know. Probably should go to a doctor once in a while, still my sister knew right away so natural medicine is effective in some ways.......
[re: Very sensitive, sore tongue tip, for no apparent reason.]

In retrospect I think I've had the same tongue problem except not as acute, it went away by itself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great everything cleared up. You really have to have a crummy diet to develop beriberi unless you have a genetic disorder that inhibits the absorption of thiamine. So many musicians I know eat too much JUNK. So go for some veggies, wheat germ, and fish and easy on the brew (alcohol impedes thiamine absorption). I know this stuff only because I'm old and it's apparently now my job to eat all sorts of healthy stuff (sigh). I miss big, greasy hamburgers but my tongue works fine (or so I'm told). Good luck and may your tongue be free of pain!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts