Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your experience? Carry-on? Checked bag? Which case? Grease the palms of the Airline workers? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks.

·
4,885 Posts
Expect to have to gate check it. I get looked at taking a tenor onboard in a contoured case, even though it fits in the overhead. Slight chance you may be able to talk them into letting you put it in the "closet" they have up in the front of the passenger cabin especially once you explain how valuable it is.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What is your experience? Carry-on? Checked bag? Which case? Grease the palms of the Airline workers? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks.
I flew international business class - the bari went as checked baggage. You won't get it in the cabin unless you buy a seat for it.
Get a good solid case, bubble wrap the horn, then wrap the case and put it in a box. Get straps with TSA locks. I had mine well packed, and either the baggage handlers or the TSA totally shredded the outside packing when I transited in Chicago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get a really tough case for the hold, then disguise it as a weak case by wrapping gaffer tape around various bits of it. If they think it might disintegrate, the luggage handlers won't chuck it quite as far. They don't want to have to sweep anything up!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Flight Attendant here. See if you can’t inform the working crew of your situation and the horns value. They may be able to more easily sway the gate agent into allowing them to find a closet for it. But I’d get a hiscox case and bubble wrap for the horn as I have seen how instruments are handled below just in case the sweet talking doesn’t work.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Unfortunately, Hiscox don't make a bari case ! The method recommended by dirsax in Post #3 above worked for me on the one occasion I flew with a bari, but maybe I was just lucky. Next time, I'll add Pete N's gaffer tape (Post #4) as an extra precaution. Otherwise, I'll just have to get a fitted, shock-proof case made to measure — which costs a bomb.

·
4,885 Posts
Flight Attendant here. See if you can’t inform the working crew of your situation and the horns value. They may be able to more easily sway the gate agent into allowing them to find a closet for it. .
This is how my band did it for their guitars/bass guitar. It worked.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Vinny Golia once told me some stories about traveling overseas with his baritone. You might want to contact him via FB for some expert information. A great cat and tremendous player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,306 Posts
I flew over and back checking a bari sax with luggage in an SKB Rolling case. No issues. It was a school horn so I wasn’t personally invested; however, the horn was perfect there and back.

·
Registered
677 Posts
We tried to give the horn a name and reseved a seat for "Mr. Baritone" in the cabin, but it didn't work like that as he had no passport. Eventually we took the horn into the cabin as hand luggage. Make sure to check it out with the flight company before you book.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Here is a different option, if you want to roll your own!

I seem to remember reading that Howard Johnson does something similar to this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,612 Posts
Did you fly with your bari? Could you please update this thread?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,129 Posts
Get a really tough case for the hold, then disguise it as a weak case by wrapping gaffer tape around various bits of it. If they think it might disintegrate, the luggage handlers won't chuck it quite as far. They don't want to have to sweep anything up!
This made me laugh!!!!

·
870 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts