Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks,

I've been having issues with my Yani A901 for a few years now. Every couple weeks (sometimes more often) it'll stop playing octave-D to octave-G. I got it overhauled last year and everytime I mention it to my repairman he doesn't see anything. The problem seems to "fix itself."

It happened while I was doing a wedding yesterday, completely limiting the performance...my last straw. Til then it only happened at practices after I sat the instrument down on my knees (I had stopped using a stand b/c my repairman said it could bend the bell).

I checked the forums and got the impression that this is a neck issue. I tried bending the neck loop a bit til it goes away to no avail (though this has worked in the past). It eventually fixed itself again last night. After I sat it down after another failed "loop adjustment" it started working again.

Does this sound like a neck issue to you all? Any help is much appreciated.
I'm on my way to a funeral now...here's hoping it holds up.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
I always try to look at the simple things first and self-diagnose...not always the most proven method though. I am not a repairman, nor do I try to play one on TV.

Since your tech doesn't see any obvious problems, and it happens most often after setting the instrument down on your knees/ the carpet; could it be that the neck is turning just enough to hinder the free movement of the octave mechanism?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
There should be some free play between the post of the octave mech that sticks up and the actual neck loop, otherwise just a very slight movement of the neck to left or right will cause a leak at the octave pip. Bend the loop out so that there is some free play before the post connects.

This may be the cause, except your tech should have thought of this.

I would get a normal stand that doesn't bend the bell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
well, Pete said the same...........while I was writing and editing my stuff :)

are you sure that you don't turn, occasionally, the neck too much to the left or to the right hence impairing the top octave key action? If that is the case this would explain how your tech (positioning the neck always correctly) doesn't notice anything while you (putting it too much on one side or other ) have this and while playing you move the neck making it appear as the neck problem is corrected by magic?

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
the simplest issue would be that the pad is sticking causing it to not open, this can happen intermitently and could also be effected by weather. it may not be the issue but it would be the first one to eliminate and the simplest solution . cut a thin strip of 600 grit sand paper, put it between the pad and the pip, (grit side on the pip and not the pad) push the pad closed over the paper with a little pressure and pull the paper out. if you have shmeg or crud on the pip this will take it right off... i find most sticky pads are actually on the tonehole and not the pad.

if the pad is sticking it obviosuly won't come up and this would cause what you describe.

it is also possible that when the horn was overhauled, this mechanism might have been over swedged and when it gets used it binds... i see a lot of horns that are swedged too tight, there has to be some lateral play in a mechanism. i have discussed htis length with a collegue who worked at haynes and powell for 25 years and he agreed and said there the standard at both companies was play you could feel but not see. ..

as was suggested above it could be the interaction with the neck, but assuming you have the neck in a consistent placement, that would not be likely to cause an intermitent issue...

i would start there, if thats not the issue and you have brought it to your tech a couple of times already, i would suggest you find another tech....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
If it is D2>G2, then it is a problem with the body octave pip. From A2 up, the neck opens whereas G# down, the body pip opens. I suspect the pad is sticking, there is dirt in the tube inside of the pip or water is collecting inside the tube. The adjustment of the neck octave can make the problem worse but I suspect a pad problem.
When this is a problem, the horn wants to play an octave lower on these notes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
in my post i was referring to the body octave pip/pad and not the neck one, sorry if that was not clear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
sorry, I got that wrong! I have had the octave pip sticking on some horns and both my King and my Martin had some issues at some point withe mechanism of the side octave which involves two parts sliding onto one another and that it was catching due to surface irregularities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the advice.

I don't think my neck is moving when I place the sax down. But just in case...when the problem occurs I do swivel the neck slightly to see if it's no longer centered.

I ended up taking it back to my tech. Again he didn't see any problem and it played flawlessly. He echoed you all's thoughts (without me mentioning the forum) that the problem is likely a stuck pad. It was moving freely at his shop, but perhaps it only happens after extensive moisture build-up (but only occasionally?). I'll take some sandpaper to it, as suggested, and look at that pad specifically if it happens again.

Oh, and the funeral ended up going well (besides the fact that it was a funeral). The octave key's performance felt pretty stable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
It can also be the tube getting clogged with water inside the pip. If it happens again and the pad is opening OK, it may be water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts