Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to Vienna in the summer and my mother is ardently insisting that we get a Selmer saxophone. Yes, I explained about quality to be had in other brands for far less. Frankly, right now, I'm thanking the Lord that she hasn't found out about the vintages. While she is not financially concerned, I am. Is there an intermediate Selmer alto to be had for a reasonable price?

Edit: I was unaware that Selmer USA sold horns all over. Excision of this post would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Selmer Paris only makes pro horns. The most reasonably priced horn they have out at the moment is the Serie II's. You may find something cheaper by buying a used Serie II horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
......and , in fact, do not think that buying it Europe gives you necessarily a better deal than buying, for example, in the States.

Sam Ash (New York or as it was known in the past.... New Amsterdam), for example, has a Series III model S62 no engravings for U.S. $3,399.00 which is considerably cheaper than Old Amsterdam-Europe (where I live) where the same saxophone is 3,300.....EUROS!

The only advantage for non-european citizens is to make sure you buy at a shop which is able to provide you with the tax-free option (you have to tell them! they won't, in general, tell you) where you can collect (in general at the airport) your V.A.T. (different names in different European countries but it means value added tax) which is a tax you pay with different percentages in different european countries on everything that you buy.

Remember that for luxury items you might be required to pay an import tax when you get home.....making the whole business of buying abroad rather pointless in this case.....do your homework about prices here and there .

One more thing, when buying a Selmer remember to buy a SELMER PARIS FRANCE if that is what you want all other horns called SELMER are not necessarily made by SELMER FRANCE (SElMER LA VOIX or Selmer artist limited for example are chinese or taiwanese horns in disguise.....you have been warned!;) )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts