Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

so for about three years I practiced *a lot* now with more work and a kid time is scarce ...

I play tenor, my level is more-or-less intermediate. I play in a band at a music school where we are followed by a teacher(1.5 hrs/week) and have a separate sax teacher (45mins/week).

The question: given that I have limited time and also do "homework" when I can for both the band (study standards) and my lessons, with whatever free time I have, should I stick to a routine for a couple of weeks/months at a time and then move on to something else or should I rotate practice items (long tones, II-V-Is, arpeggios, etc.) daily or weekly?

just curious about the feedback on this from pros and teachers!

thanks,
Laurence

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Lorenzo - You said the magic word in your post: routine. Routine will set you free! Whatever you practice, you should really practice the same things every day. Even after you feel you know them well, play them for another week before going on to something else. Some areas will naturally take more time than others, so you should find yourself changing some parts of your routine sooner than others. What's a good amount of time to devote to a particular area? A month? Two months? Six? That depends on you, and your unique way of internalizing the material we are all working to learn better and better. The absolute best advice I've ever heard about practicing is in Hal Crook's Ready, Aim, Improvise! It's published in Europe by Advance Music. Not an inexpensive book, but much cheaper than six months of lessons with Hal. I just can't recommend this more highly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts