Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5SA2aGicA

This interesting. Decent player comparing them too (pretty humble).

My opinion: I think he sounded best on the Buescher, Conn, and Yani, followed by the Couf Superba II, Mark VI, and The Martin.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
SactoPete's a decent player. Frankly, from the video's, I couldn't tell the difference in the sound between the horns. Just sounded like SactoPete!

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SactoPete's a decent player. Frankly, from the video's, I couldn't tell the difference in the sound between the horns. Just sounded like SactoPete!
That is true, however, I'm basing my opinions on the ones where he seemed most "at home" playing them. Could be longer play time on some, than others, or some simply outplayed others.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I sound better on a Buescher too. I get clumsy when you stick me on something with allegedly "ergo-friendly" keywork. What's up with that?!?

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sound better on a Buescher too. I get clumsy when you stick me on something with allegedly "ergo-friendly" keywork. What's up with that?!?
I used to prefer the archaic keywork to the modern too, but, now I prefer modern keywork to the archaic. Go figure (and my playing shows it).

But, I do own both achaic, and relatively modern :) .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Hey, I resemble this remark!

Since the video, I've gotten the most positive comments on the Martin, followed by the Selmer, then Buescher, then the rest. FWIW, I sold both the Martin and the Yani to SOTW members.

The horn I'm playing the most these days is the Buescher. It's a bit of a franken-horn with a non-original neck and a bell repaired from a nasty lip bend (you can see the stress marks in the metal), and old pads on it... but it's just got some sort of magic in it. William Bua (from SOTW) is a friend of mine and lives locally - he buys and sells a LOT of horns, and I'm lucky enough to play many of them. There are very very few that have come through that I would put on par with the experience of playing this particular franken-horn. Bill's M'Lady is close, and there was one SBA that he had that I'd give the nod to (but at 10k, fuggedaboudit), but all the super 20s, MkVIs, SMLs, Rampones, Keilwerths, MkVIIs, Yanis, Conns, Martins, Buffets, etc etc etc, just couldn't beat it. It might not come through in the video as much, but you really feel the need to have a cigarrette after playing it, and you want to check your wallet too, cause you feel like you've been taken advantage of... but like it.... he even came through today with another Top Hat horn that is in much better shape (I think he has it posted for sale) and recently set up by Randy Jones... a very very nice horn indeed, great intonation, excellent response, etc.... but I still liked my frankenhorn better.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I heard a slight difference but I'm thinking to the average listener, nobody would really know the difference in the sound, especially if there were other instruments playing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I heard a slight difference but I'm thinking to the average listener, nobody would really know the difference in the sound, especially if there were other instruments playing.
+1

I also heard several slightly different variations of smooth that would probably get buried with even a beefy string bass going- and certainly amid amplified instruments. However, I tip my cap to the audiovisual setup for this, as YouTube things go.

Chops >> the differences between what I heard.

·
3,383 Posts
.... I tip my cap to the audiovisual setup for this, as YouTube things go.
Thanks... if anyone is interested, what I did was just record the video with my inexpensive canon point-and-shoot camera (it has a video mode), while simultaneously recording the audio direct into my PC with Reaper and my usual sax mic setup. After it was done, I replaced the audio (I used reaper for that too - it seems to support video import, which I didn't know before), and boosted the levels where I was talking between playing so that you didn't get blasted when I started playing. Sounds maybe a bit complicated, but it was pretty easy once you figure out the process.

Pete

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey Pete,

The cork on some of the necks looks white. Is that tape? If so, what kind of tape are you using and are you using it to adjust the diameter to get a good fit with the mpc?

·
3,383 Posts
Busted! Not tape, just paper.... that STM that I prefer has a BIG shank, much bigger than any of my other mpcs. Put a new cork on my 400 neck just yesterday, actually, and it was still a little looser than I'd prefer. Would like to figure out a way to permanently reduce the inner diameter of the shank, but haven't quite figured out a good way to do so yet....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
thanks Pete, great video, great playing!!
such a luxury to test these great horns.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks... if anyone is interested, what I did was just record the video with my inexpensive canon point-and-shoot camera (it has a video mode), while simultaneously recording the audio direct into my PC with Reaper and my usual sax mic setup. After it was done, I replaced the audio (I used reaper for that too - it seems to support video import, which I didn't know before), and boosted the levels where I was talking between playing so that you didn't get blasted when I started playing. Sounds maybe a bit complicated, but it was pretty easy once you figure out the process.

Pete
Thanks for the tip, Pete. At the suggestion of other SOTWers on the tech forum, I popped $40 for a license for Reaper several weeks ago. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do. Real life (kids, day job) keep getting in the way....

·
Registered
389 Posts
.... that STM that I prefer has a BIG shank, much bigger than any of my other mpcs. ...Would like to figure out a way to permanently reduce the inner diameter of the shank, but haven't quite figured out a good way to do so yet....
I have the same problem as I like to use different mpcs for different occasions and struggle with my STM NY. If I don’t get a snugly fitting cork, I can get turbulence problems giving me a breathy lower register.

I’ve always thought of the opposite approach to that issue. That is, finding some sort of sleeve to stretch over the cork to add to its diameter. There’s got to be a clever solution to that and, regrettably, I’m not clever enough to figure it out.

Hmm. Maybe I’ll start a thread under accessories and solicit some recommendations.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Would like to figure out a way to permanently reduce the inner diameter of the shank, but haven't quite figured out a good way to do so yet....
I put a few coats of clear nail polish ( over a year ago ) inside the shank of my STM until I got the right fit. It works great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same problem as I like to use different mpcs for different occasions and struggle with my STM NY. If I don’t get a snugly fitting cork, I can get turbulence problems giving me a breathy lower register.

I’ve always thought of the opposite approach to that issue. That is, finding some sort of sleeve to stretch over the cork to add to its diameter. There’s got to be a clever solution to that and, regrettably, I’m not clever enough to figure it out.

Hmm. Maybe I’ll start a thread under accessories and solicit some recommendations.
On my bari I put plumber's tape on the cork. Plumber's tape works really well for it's designed to get wet and still hold its grip. wrap it a few times around your cork and presto! no more problems. It also saves you money, you don't have to replace your cork for something thicker, and you don't have to ruin your mouthpiece with nail polish (cough cough).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts