Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,008 Posts
Interesting.

The seller has 100% positive feedback, but the only visible feedback are from two deals in the last 6 months and as a buyer rather than seller.

I am a bit suspicious.

Rhys

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
The palm keys look suspicious but everything looks legit. It could be a custom job. Maybe ask the seller?
The main reason for having a MarkVI soprano is that it’s one piece. I almost wish my Mark VI tenor was one piece with the issues I’ve had getting someone to fit the neck properly.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,453 Posts
'issues I’ve had getting someone to fit the neck properly.'

Tell me about it. Its like they've all forgotten or never knew how to do something that just a few years ago was routine maintenance.

Update: the soprano is a fake. I went back to pictures I took of one I sold for a friend last year and things really started popping out at me. I'll post a few.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The seller's description mentions it's "customized to a high standard". He also mentions the extra engraving and the fact that one of the necks doesn't work right with the octave mechanism. I'm no expert on Selmer by any means, never even held one in my hands, but after my experience with a heavily modified Conn 10M I know there are horns out there with custom key work.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It looks like a legit mark vi, but one that has been highly customized. You can tell the neck receiver has been replated because of the color difference, which suggests something was done (in this cases, it was added). It seems to have a few extra keys added and some custom engraving, too, but the horn looks to me like it originally started as a regular mark vi. The thumb hook looks like a regular late model soprano thumb hook design that has the original plastic hook swapped out with a metal one.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
It looks like a legit mark vi, but one that has been highly customized.
I'm just imagining the moment a tech took a hacksaw to the neck of that soprano, looking at the cusomer with eys that shrieked "are you really really sure you want me to do this?"

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,453 Posts
'Few keys added'

So were a few tone holes added too? The mods are not by Selmer. At the price as it stands, I would take a Taiwan horn instead. If it goes any higher, somebody is really rolling the dice, and I think they're loaded.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
'Few keys added'

So were a few tone holes added too? The mods are not by Selmer. At the price as it stands, I would take a Taiwan horn instead. If it goes any higher, somebody is really rolling the dice, and I think they're loaded.
It’s at $650. Possible worth a shot if you want a weird soprano. I’ve never understood the reason for a soprano with interchangeable necks.

·
2,008 Posts
I’ve never understood the reason for a soprano with interchangeable necks.
Some people prefer straight neck, others prefer curved neck and some people don't know which they prefer.

It is simpler for a manufacturer to offer the same soprano with both straight and curved necks than to offer two variants of their soprano as one-piece straight and one-piece curved instruments. It also gives them the chance to sell different necks, for instance of exotic materials.

Rhys

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Some people prefer straight neck, others prefer curved neck and some people don't know which they prefer.

It is simpler for a manufacturer to offer the same soprano with both straight and curved necks than to offer two variants of their soprano as one-piece straight and one-piece curved instruments. It also gives them the chance to sell different necks, for instance of exotic materials.

Rhys
Or maybe it's so people can change their intonation from out of tune to sharp.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
I wouldn't touch that thing. Maybe it's a highly modified (butchered?!) VI soprano, but I owned a mid-'70s MKVI soprano that I bought new (wish I'd never sold it) and the horn in that photo looked nothing like the one I had, especially the palm keys.

Also, while the photos only show a portion of the case, that case sure looks different, and much older, than the case that came with my horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Calling Doug Pipher - Calling Doug Pipher!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
According to the Selmer Paris archives, this instrument was originally sold as a lacquered, unengraved, high F# soprano with none of the current modifications mentioned.
It appears to me that the modifications are aftermarket.

·
3,209 Posts
And there we have it!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
So if it originally had an F# tone hole, it's more plausible that the F# mechanism might've been redone.

Anybody try asking the seller about provenance?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
It looks to have the original high F# level as well , so this was some kind of alt fingering using the same tone hole.

·
3,209 Posts
If you look at the last picture in the ebay listing you can see the palm D, Eb, E, F, and F# all in a row. It does not looks to me as the F# was altered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts