Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,923 Posts
My favorite part, was the listening to one of my favorite cuts from the Desmond and Mulligan album I have enjoyed for so long.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
The Axos thus appears to differ from the Selmer Paris pro horns in the following ways:
  • Less hand work on tube (bells are machine-fabricated?)
  • No hand engraving?
  • Keywork manufactured elsewhere? (the biggie -- not addressed in the video)
  • No blue enamel on neck.
My impression from this video is that the SeleS Axos saxophone is more clearly being positioned as a "non-pro" horn (intermediate? advancing student?) than the SeleS Presence clarinet, which just seems like a less expensive professional instrument. The SeleS Prologue alto sax mouthpiece is being marketed as a student piece; wonder if it, or an S80, will ship with the Axos horn.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My favorite part, was the listening to one of my favorite cuts from the Desmond and Mulligan album I have enjoyed for so long.
Me too!! :D

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Where did you catch that the keywork was being manufactured elsewhere?
I didn't -- that's why I listed it as a question. The fact that they don't discuss (or show) the keywork fabrication in the video suggests to me that it's area where cost-saving measures have been implemented.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree that it has peaked my curiosity. However, it would be disingenuous of them to state that the sax is "manufactured" rather than "assembled" in the same factory if the keywork is made elsewhere. My hope is that they keywork is still manufactured in Mantes-la-Ville but with a greater reliance on automation and modern machinery... Although, I wouldn't be shocked if we find out otherwise.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree that it has peaked my curiosity. However, it would be disingenuous of them to state that the sax is "manufactured" rather than "assembled" in the same factory if the keywork is made elsewhere. My hope is that they keywork is still manufactured in Mantes-la-Ville but with a greater reliance on automation and modern machinery... Although, I wouldn't be shocked if we find out otherwise.
The value engineers and accountants will destroy the reputation of a Business and Brand that has been world class since saxes were first popular - if that is the only way they can compete, then it's probably the slippery slope.....

Blowhard2

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The Axos thus appears to differ from the Selmer Paris pro horns in the following ways:
  • Less hand work on tube (bells are machine-fabricated?)
  • No hand engraving?
  • Keywork manufactured elsewhere? (the biggie -- not addressed in the video)
  • No blue enamel on neck.
My impression from this video is that the SeleS Axos saxophone is more clearly being positioned as a "non-pro" horn (intermediate? advancing student?) than the SeleS Presence clarinet, which just seems like a less expensive professional instrument. The SeleS Prologue alto sax mouthpiece is being marketed as a student piece; wonder if it, or an S80, will ship with the Axos horn.
My paperwork from Conn-Selmer shows that an S80 C* mouthpiece is included.

Also, I have spoken at length with people at the factory and they are NOT indicating that keywork is being outsourced to other countries.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
My paperwork from Conn-Selmer shows that an S80 C* mouthpiece is included.
That's a good sign, I think. (At least for the Axos; maybe not such a good sign for the Prologue mouthpiece.)

Also, I have spoken at length with people at the factory and they are NOT indicating that keywork is being outsourced to other countries.
Is it being outsourced within France (an "industrial collaboration"), or is it being fabricated at Selmer's own factory?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Is it being outsourced within France (an "industrial collaboration"), or is it being fabricated at Selmer's own factory?
I cannot comment 100% accuracy for you unfortunately. I can say that there is a little bit of both, but I cannot testify to percentages of what to where, etc...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That's a good sign, I think. (At least for the Axos; maybe not such a good sign for the Prologue mouthpiece.)

I just spoke with someone from Selmer the other day, and had this exact question, and from what she said "Everything on the horn is made in France, but the keywork is outsourced within France".

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,891 Posts
Milandro can probably comment more… but the fact that it says "Made In France" means that a certain percentage must be made there, I think.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Milandro can probably comment more… but the fact that it says "Made In France" means that a certain percentage must be made there, I think.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
From what our Selmer rep told me, it's 100%. I hope it's true!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
More info on the website... http://www.seles.fr/en/seles-saxophone-axos

This seems like a stripped down Series II. The horn looks like it has ribbed construction like the II and it would make sense to share one body tube design for multiple models for the sake of practicality and sound quality. The points of compromise for price seem to be the two-piece pressed bell (versus the standard one piece hammered), a new neck design (perhaps also cheapened), possibly outsourced keywork, and less intricate engraving than the post-Jubilee horns. There is engraving on the bell and body tube as well, interestingly.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Re: Interesting.. Selmer Seles Axos — Price

Helpfully, Kessler & Sons has posted the price for the Axos although the horn is not yet available. Here's where it stands compared to likely substitute choices. These are the normal street prices in the United States — no eBay specials — for standard lacquer models. Selmer and Yanagisawa prices are from Kessler's; Yamaha prices are from the Woodwind and Brasswind:

$2,919 Selmer USA AS42
$2,937 Yamaha YAS-62III
$3,235 Yanagisawa A-WO1
$4,000 Yamaha YAS-82ZII
$4,000 Yamaha YAS-875EX
$4,025 Yanagisawa A-WO2 (bronze)
$4,295 SeleS Axos
$4,325 Yanagisawa A-WO10
$4,975 Yanagisawa A-WO20 (bronze)
$5,759 Selmer Paris SA80 Series II Jubilee
$6,479 Selmer Paris SA80 Series III Jubilee

I don't discount the importance of the used saxophone market. All these manufacturers are competing against themselves to an extent, particularly Selmer Paris (I just purchased a used Series II in great condition for much less than any of the prices shown above). However, the Axos requires new buyers to succeed, so how will it fare among this field? There's probably a difference in market perception between an "entry-level Selmer" and a "student Selmer." Selmer USA tried to position the AS42 as the former; others here can judge the outcome of that maneuver. If the Axos sounds and feels almost like a Series II or III, it may earn "entry-level" pro status. But if it is deemed just another decent horn, albeit made in France, I'm not so sure.

Selmer Paris seems to be trying to prevent the SeleS sax from cannibalizing Selmer horn sales — trying perhaps too hard. The Axos webpage, downloadable brochure, and promotional video all avoid describing the Axos as a "professional" saxophone. In fact, the goal seems to be to contrast the Axos with the professional horns, e.g., "The
way in which the strategic part of the saxophone, the bore, is treated in our metal workshops is as rigorous as the treatment of the professional models." And Claude Delangle calls the Axos a good instrument for "young musicians and not-so-young musicians." Isn't that code for "students and amateurs"?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,891 Posts
They priced it above the 875EX and the same as the top Yani? That's crazy for what is being positioned as an intermediate instrument. Wow.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts