Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,261 Posts
Very good! May lead to new types of synthetic reeds.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Very good! May lead to new types of synthetic reeds.
I sure hope so!

A very interesting project. I hope we can see more like this in the future.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,770 Posts
Not a word concerning the effect of saliva deposits that build-up in the fibers? This apparently was a completely mechanical study - still good though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The 2.5 month's of playing mentioned for the 25-50% loss in reed stiffness is interesting, though unclear how many hours that would be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,261 Posts
Yeah. It would be like two weeks for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Connor Kemp seems to be an ambitious man with an interesting biography and healthy historical instincts. Is he driven primarily by a desire to help the woodwind players to save cost and get more satisfaction from their reeds? Or by career opportunities an advanced degree can create? Hard to tell. Whichever the case, a PhD in reed fatigue is unlikely to have any practical applications. I imagine that Vandoren already know more than a few such PhDs combined.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Impressive research. I'd like to see a microbiologist quantify the rate at which amoebas, bacteria, & yeast molds munch away at cane fibers, thus altering the perceived strength of the reed. I bet the microphotographs would be exciting! Ever see a Ramazzottius varieornatus up close?

May I also suggest that somebody research how to improve reed manufacturers' sorting & grading protocols.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts