Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I didn't post this under "LINK QUALITY ISSUES" because this problem only recently developed.

I play a rubber Link 6 on tenor with a BG Super Revelation Lig (not unlike rovner) with Jazz Select 3 Hard filed reeds. I have been very happy with my sound and projection until a week ago. I bought some new reeds last week (same brand, size) and practiced a bit. All sounded good. I have a quick break, I pick up my horn and I notice the projection and sound has diminished somewhat. I change reed, same problem. I figured I just need to do some more long tones.

Half an hour of longtones later there is no difference, and to add insult to injury I find that there is saliva spraying on my face from a leak on the left side of the mouthpiece close to the ligature.

I've tried a Vandoren blue box size 3 reed to check to see if the problem is the reed but the sound was so stuffy and resistant (no where near my usual sound) that I couldn't tell if that was the problem. Didn't notice a leak with the Vandoren though.

What are your opinions? Does anyone think my piece has been damaged? I'm very reluctant to part with it, but in the event that I have
to do so, I was considering one of Paul Tenney's Custom Select otto Links.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
"Half an hour of longtones later there is no difference, and to add insult to injury I find that there is saliva spraying on my face from a leak on the left side of the mouthpiece close to the ligature."

So, the mouthpiece has a hairline crack? or maybe that particular reed you were using sounded really good.. or maybe your chops are tired or somehting.. could be alot of reasons.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Did you pratice in the same room, both time?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
sounds like warped reeds to me...some pieces will do this more than others. Try taking the reed and rub the bottom back and forth quickly on a sheet of white paper on a smooth hard surface and then look along the bottom towards a light at the shiny parts. Chances are, there will be dull spots along the edge. If you otherwise like the reed, play it until it warps, then rub similarly on some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, alternating with the regular paper polishing to check your work so you dont go too far. Go until the bottom 2/3 or so polishes completely evenly (dont worry about it near the tip). When sanding, leave the top inch or so of the reed hanging over the edge of the paper as you dont want to thin that, just level out the part that contacts the table and facing. Polish the top and bottom thoroughly when you're done to limit the amount of moisture the reed will soak in during play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts