Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I like to end on the #11 (b5) on some tunes, especially a jump blues tune. A more common note to end on is the 9, which also sounds good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I like to end on the #11 (b5) on some tunes, especially a jump blues tune. A more common note to end on is the 9, which also sounds good.
That is why you need a section so you can have someone play the 9 and #11. My buddy and I used to swell on 9/11 on natural minor tunes in a reggae band we played in. It always sounded great.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Phil is using this pitch in a very special way: he likes to end on the #11 when it happens to coincide with the alto's low B-flat. He then likes to blast the note, with the intent of making it stick out like a sore thumb. He wants us to think "Hey, that note doesn't belong there!". I've not heard others do it in this way.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But Phil is using this pitch in a very special way: he likes to end on the #11 when it happens to coincide with the alto's low B-flat. He then likes to blast the note, with the intent of making it stick out like a sore thumb. He wants us to think "Hey, that note doesn't belong there!". I've not heard others do it in this way.
He does the same thing in this video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=73215199389

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Yes, 9th is good as is #11.
Many piano players will end by playing a major triad one tone above the
actual key.

I also like to do this but because it is sax I play the arpeggio.
e.g. a C major triad played at the end of a tune in Bb major.
This gives you the 9, #11 and 13.
It sounds quite eerie (but good).

I like to end Blues tunes on the 9th or Dom 7th.
The 9th will usually fit, no matter what the other guys are playing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts