Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320168194693&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

This is an interesting horn. It looks like a Taiwanese Mark VI or Ref 54...I haven't seen one quite like this before. I realize that it's from Gary Sugal, which means that I won't touch it (even though his HORNS are pretty good, in contrast with his mouthpieces) but it has a very different key design than any other Taiwanese horn that I've seen. It has a regular pearl front F, round right hand pinky keys, and a regular pearl side F. (It's more like a VI than the typical SA80) Anyone else seen one like this that ISN'T from Gary?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Forget the horn, I want the sweet cork grease!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
It's a Snooze Loose alto!? Of this I have heard previously not, thank you please.:shock:

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, seriously, I know that it's a Sugal product and therefore worthy of ridicule, but this is genuinely interesting. I've been waiting for someone to come up with a Mark VI copy like this for a while...I'm just curious if any other vendor puts their own name on it.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
All he has to do to make it look like it is something of his own, is yes, produce the same basic horn as many taiwanese companies, but he can have modified those keys that you described, to make people think that they are playing a replica of a VI, or to make his horn seem like it is just HIS design, when it really isn't, and put his name on it. It is taiwanese none the less. Even though I am really against horns that are produced in Taiwan, (Because they are made there), I become very proud to see good quality horns such as a good playing LaVie, LaVoix, or a Cannonball. These saxes, yes, are made there, but they have their own distinct designs that make them play better than other Taiwanes horn, and separate them from others. That is what I like to see.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChuBerry47 said:
All he has to do to make it look like it is something of his own, is yes, produce the same basic horn as many taiwanese companies, but he can have modified those keys that you described, to make people think that they are playing a replica of a VI, or to make his horn seem like it is just HIS design, when it really isn't, and put his name on it. It is taiwanese none the less. Even though I am really against horns that are produced in Taiwan, (Because they are made there), I become very proud to see good quality horns such as a good playing LaVie, LaVoix, or a Cannonball. These saxes, yes, are made there, but they have their own distinct designs that make them play better than other Taiwanes horn, and separate them from others. That is what I like to see.
My point is that I like this style of keywork, don't care if it's from Taiwan, and don't want to buy from Gary. I'm kind of hoping that Phil Barone or Dave Kessler chime in and can get the same horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts