Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would make a nice gift for all of the jazz lovers out there. I tripped onto this from an art blog site that I read. the company makes posters that display the history of various music genres in the form of a blueprint schematic. The link below is for the Jazz version. I have no affiliation with the seller, I just thought it was pretty cool.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
“I play sax but mostly it plays me”
9,728 Posts
This would make a nice gift for all of the jazz lovers out there. I tripped onto this from an art blog site that I read. the company makes posters that display the history of various music genres in the form of a blueprint schematic. The link below is for the Jazz version. I have no affiliation with the seller, I just thought it was pretty cool.

That is a thing of beauty. I have a jazz artist wall and a rock wall with LP’s that influenced me over the years. This would compliment that handily.

Reactions: Kirk B

·
Registered
Selmer SA80 Series II tenor
57 Posts
Nice! Thought provoking and aesthetically pleasing. Immediately found myself thinking why does so and so have a circle but Anthony Braxton doesn’t, but such is the nature of any such list / mapping / etc

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I don't like it. But I can see why people might want it, if they wanted to decorate and also appear like they knew something about Jazz.
When I first looked at this I couldn’t help but feeling annoyed at the relative size of the artists’ names and the appearance that some had been deemed more central than others. This wouldn’t be something that would make me feel peaceful.

look at the font size for Sonny Rollins (if you can find him at all) and compare that to the font size for Kamasi Washington. That alone disqualifies this from being allowed in my house.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I was looking at it from a design standpoint, but I can see how it’s not really clear how they gauged the weight and size of the names and their respective containers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I first looked at this I couldn’t help but feeling annoyed at the relative size of the artists’ names and the appearance that some had been deemed more central than others. This wouldn’t be something that would make me feel peaceful.

look at the font size for Sonny Rollins (if you can find him at all) and compare that to the font size for Kamasi Washington. That alone disqualifies this from being allowed in my house.
I had the same thought. Kamasi has a circle but Bud Powell doesn't? I'll stick with my jazz in Harlem poster.

Like the idea though.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
R&C 2V Sop, YAS61S, YTS61S, YBS62.
734 Posts
It’s a great idea, poorly executed. I’d love something like this without the constraints of it looking like a circuit board. Just every big name and all those associated, with the various connections made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts