Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking today I found a most unusual Conn C on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CON...545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbcbedff9

Key unusual features are :
1. The bell was never engraved C.G. Conn Ltd., only the outer art deco engraving border was completed.

2. The micro tuner is an unusual style I have never seen, on a curved neck! EDIT: Nevermind, it appears to be one of Conns elusive tunable mouthpieces on a regular corked curved neck.

3. It has non-rolled tone holes, and a curved neck... like a Wonder, but the low Eb,C keys are the improved New Wonder design, as are the palm keys.

4. It has no front-F key, something I thought was a standard on all Conns.

5. The serial has a "P" prefix, on the seral list means 1961 which obviously isn't true, and its not the "M" designation for "Saxophone."

6. Without the P, the serial dates it to 1910-1911.

Perhaps a stencil that never made it to the stencil companies engraver?

A mystery of old features with newer "uninvented" features on it?

This one is just fascinating!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'll go with the 1910 manufacture date. The G# is a early typewriter key style. No front F suggests an earlier date too. That engraving isn't art deco but I agree it is rare and somewhat incomplete without the Conn name. I agree it appears to be a stencil that didn't make it to a third party company.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
Not a Conn but one of their Pan-American style stencils. They used the P before the serial numbers and all of the C Melodies had a curved neck and no rolled tone holes. The Pan-Am numbers are different from Conn. The micro tunes was a bit different from the Conn type.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Another for your growing Conn collection DMC?
We have seen the microtuner before on curved necks...on first line Conns.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Conn kept some of their "newest" features out of the Pan American and other stencil horns, so this is probably an old stencil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,716 Posts
5. The serial has a "P" prefix, on the seral list means 1961 which obviously isn't true, and its not the "M" designation for "Saxophone."
Clearly, Conn did not consider it a saxophone. "P" was an abbreviated version of the more modern acronym "POS".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
I agree Danny - the 'microtuner' looks to be part of the mouthpiece, rather than the neck - as the cork is between the microtuner and the neck, methinks [rolleyes]

As has been said before, the 'P' serial and lack of front-F signifies Conn stencil, I have C and Bb Soprano's from that same stable, and not a trace of even the smallest 'POS' in sight, sound or smell - just Conns without the frills, at sensible prices...:lick:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts