Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has that been since birth or later in life? Can you hear absolutely nothing, or different levels? Does that affect where you need to face in a group?

I have so many questions! Deaf musicians?! Fascinating.
Apparently, he lost his hearing in his left ear at some point after he was already working as a professional musician. They don't nail down a date in the interview, but in the context of their talk it's clear that Chris was already well into his career as a musician. It sounds as if he has no hearing at all in that left ear. Yes, it does have some impact on how he sets up live.

That's about all the info on the subject that's given. The interviewer is clearly surprised to learn about this, and so was I: you'd just think this would be more well-known about such a much-discussed musician. But Potter seemed pretty nonchalant about it.

Anyway, I'd encourage anyone interested to listen to the interview rather than rely on my summaries...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Great interview. Chris is so down to earth, yet; freakin’ amazing.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
Has that been since birth or later in life? Can you hear absolutely nothing, or different levels? Does that affect where you need to face in a group?

Mine happened when I was 28 and I had already been gigging for 7-8 years. It was a brain tumor and they had to go in and get through my left ear. The whole inner ear is gone so I can't hear anything. It was a big drag for me afterwards. You don't realize how great stereo music actually sounds until it is no longer stereo. I had a really nice car at the time with a Bose stereo system in it that sounded amazing. After the surgery I remember getting in my car and I thought my stereo was broken. The music sounded flat and dead. It wasn't the stereo it was going from hearing stereo to mono! It is a drag at times as I do feel like I miss things sometimes on my left side but like Potter it is also a blessing. I can stand right next to a drummer or guitar player and as long as they are on my deaf side nothing bothers me. I have had sub gigs where the other horn is on my left and that sucks because I can't hear squat from that side when the band is playing but I just do the best I can do..............I wrote out my whole story here if you are curious: http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/category/brain-tumor-story/

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great interview. Chris is so down to earth, yet; freakin’ amazing.
He sure is. Like Brecker and Coltrane, he seems to be someone who has remained humble and down to earth despite being so incredibly gifted.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I play with a guitar player who already has hearing issues. He went to the range to shoot and forgot to put on ear protection and has barely been able to hear at all for about a month. He's still doing the gigs, just looks at his fingers and somehow pulls it off. He can play pretty much any tune you can imagine by memory, but he says high frequencies are WAY off so I've been playing all tenor and no flute. If it were me I would take a few weeks off! But it has been really interesting watching him deal with the issue-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts